Making my own code reader

Hi all,

Something Ive been wanting to do for a while is make my own code reader for my 98 SL2. It seems that you guys in the US can go to a certain store and have it read for free, but I've never found that up here, and well, id like the convenience of playing with it in my own garage :). Now, actually doing this should be fairly simple, just build my own cable and communicate with the car on my Palm pilot, the only problem is that I need to know the pin out as well as the communication protocol that is used. Is this information public domain?, can I get my hands on this anywhere?

TIA!

Wurm

Reply to
Wurm

Hi Wurm

The information you are looking for is mostly public domain. The maufactures use their own connectors, but even that information can be found. Do a search for OBDII or OBD-II readers. However some information is "extended", as such it is outside EPA reporting requirements, so only the manufactures and some hackers know how to get it out of the computer.

David

information

Reply to
David O'Rourke

Hi,

Ok, thanks for the info, ill do some hunting this weekend ;). Heck, I gotta find a use for the Palm and it seems hack jobs like this are the forte of that machine.

Phil

Reply to
Wurm