manual ION shifters

I am thrilled with my new Ecotec engine! My manual '07 ION.3 2.2L has a great clutch, but the shifter feels like absolute sh*t, cheap, caca, etc...it feels like I am forcing it into gear and it goes with all the smoothness of operating a forklift lever.

I have noticed on used IONs that the shifter "breaks in" after awhile, how long have you guys had you manual ION before the shifter became a 'little" smoother?

If I do ever wear it out after warranty, I will probably change it out for a better shifter, any ideas and what can I expect to spend?

Reply to
marx404

I have an '03 Ion Manual & sometimes the shifter doesnt want to comply,starting out in 1st I have to really SHOVE IT into that postion,I too,wonder if theres a lube for easier shifting.My previous

4 vehicles were all manuals,the only way to drive.
Reply to
teem

My '05 Quad Coupe exhibits the same behavior getting it into 1st. I'd assumed it might be a lazy clutch foot not depressing the clutch fully but I try.

Nature of the beast I suspect.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Yea, 1st does require the clutch to be floored or it will resist. I do notice that the slower I move the shift lever, the easier it will go thru the gate. Faster shifting is anything but eloquent. I'm slowly getting used to it, hard to resist downshifting though :-) Compared to my old 1.9 automatic, the ecotec loves being revved and accelerates 0-60 and 50-80 with little effort.....whoa, cool.

Reply to
marx404

I just hit 50y.o. & I find myself hitting the clutch up & down before a completed shift.

Reply to
teem

Sounds like a case of Shiftus Interruptus to me. :-)

Reply to
marx404

More like Jamii Grindus,hey,I'm in a hurry!.

Reply to
teem

Is there a way of lubing the shifter under the interior for smoother operation?.

Reply to
teem

I noticed a similar "problem" with my 2000 SL2. I was thinking that there was something needing lubrication. However, I think that the transmission just works that way. From the Technical Service Bulletin for Manual Transmissions:

"To reduce shift effort, do not attempt to rush the shift - allow the synchronizers to work as designed. Shifting harder will only increase the chance of rushing past the synchronizer leading to grinding while shifting."

I think that explains it all. I briefly ran through the diagnostic check just to be sure. I feel more comfortable now that the issue is mostly normal. Here is a brief outline of what I checked:

  1. Initial Conditions: Parking brake engaged, car in neutral, engine running (in that order :D)
  2. Attempt to gently shift car into reverse until a brief light grinding is encounterd (gently)
  3. Depress clutch and try to shift into reverse if any grinding is encountered the clutch is not fully disengaging (this checked out on mine)
  4. With transmission in neutral, release clutch then depress clutch and attempt to shift into 1st (I noticed this was difficult, however when I moved it slowly it went into gear)
  5. Keeping clutch depressed, shift into other gears (mine went right into gear with no problems)

The issue in my case has nothing to do with the linkages or the shifter. The TSB mentions this as being normal for many cars...

Check this on yours to see if you have the same results.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Riegert

Yeah ,but you shouldn't have to hold the clutch peddle down for more than 4-5 seconds.Mine usually shifts aok,maybe it was the humidity effecting it this summer.

Reply to
teem

I agree that it shouldn't take a few seconds to shift gears. When I checked mine, I was able to determine that the difficulty shifting was not due to the shifter or the linkages. I was able to determine that since it was not difficult to shift if I held the clutch in while shifting through all of the gears. If it gets to the point where during normal driving conditions it takes more than a second or so to shift gears, I will looking more at a synchronizer issue, rather than a shifter issue.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Riegert