manual transmission

I have a 1996 saturn sl1 with a manual transmission, and a sohc engine. can i swap it with a transmission from a dohc engine?

Reply to
bearcat_dad45612

yes you can. And it is a quite nice combo, but your shift light will only come on while in 5th gear...

I drove my '95 with a DOHC trans for about 1.5 years.

Reply to
Kevin

Yes, although gearing will then be a bit different. The trans from a DOHC was meant to be a bit more performance-oriented, and the SOHC was geared for mileage/economy. You may give up a few MPG and the motor will likely be at a higher RPM than usual when you're at highway speed.

If you did a bit of online research, I'm sure the gear ratios for both are listed somewhere.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane