Metallic clunk in left rear

I have a 1998 SC with 97k miles that just developed a clunking sound in the left rear mostly when going over bumps. Nothing looks broken to the casual observation. My daughter says that it makes the noise more when the back end has some weight in it like a full gas tank or something in the trunk. Any ideas before I drag it in to a shop this weekend?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Mike

Check the rear sway bar end links, which connect the sway bar to a bracket connected to the struts. They should move freely. If they bind (due to rust or corrosion), it causes odd noises.

Lane [ l a n e @ p a i r . c o m ]

Reply to
Lane

I will check that out in the AM. Thanks Lane! If I remember right, you are just down the road from me in Green Bay. I am from the Appleton area.

Mike

we had a similar thing repaired on our 93 SL1. It was the rear struts. Replaced then and all is well.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

I was leaning that way myself, but I will see what the sway bar looks like in the AM. Funny thing is it is hard to replicate the problem sitting still. Thanks for the reply!

Reply to
Mike

OK, I went to the local Midas shop and them look it over. Estimate came in for $722! Seems the driver side strut mount is worn out and causing the strut to clunk back and forth. (2 struts $160, 2 strut mounts $142, installation for all is $212 and a 4 wheel alignment is $55.) Does this seem a bit extreme for 1 bad strut mount?

Have many others had this type of problem before? TIA!

Reply to
Mike

Canadian or US dollars?

Seems high except for the alignment - mine is usually about $100 and makes my dealer a little nuts (my perception) because the car is lowered.

At carparts.com they have the rear strut assembly for US$70 each in a Gabriel brand - I bought KYB's some time ago and I see them over at tirerack.com for US$48 each.

There is something at the tirerack site called a strut and shock mount for US$41 ea - but unless yours are trashed, I don't get why you might need them (someone else maybe can clarify).

So a pair of KYB's installed should be under $200 in my thinking.

...if it's in the budget and you plan on keeping the car, I'd go for replacing all 4 (just a thought).

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

That was US dollars. Sorry for the confusion. Not that I am on a budget per se, but the car isn't worth all that much to begin with ;-) I would like to get by with the least amount to make the car safe and quiet to drive.

Reply to
Mike

I had a knocking, and it turned out to be the struts. Here is the totals, in Canadian dollars, by Saturn.

Front Struts $345.46 Shield (Rubber CV Joints) $58.90 Labour & Four Wheel Alignment $382.70 Total $787.06 Taxes $118.06 Grand Total $905.12

Reply to
Skid

Makes sense - let us know how you make out...

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Here's why it's a good idea to replace these before you need to.

If you replace your struts, it's a good idea to replace the mounts too. While 4 new mounts aren't cheap, they sure are cheaper than a strut rod going up through the hood or the rear window while you're driving. I replaced my struts at one time but didn't replace the mounts. This happened at about 120k.

Lane [ l a n e @ p a i r . c o m ]

Reply to
Lane

Lately I?ve been hearing a knock in the trunk when I turn sometimes. Sounds like something is tipping over in the trunk. Since it?s a 2001 SC1 there?s no sway bar to make noise.

From the looks of the picture, bad strut mounts should be replaced. Are the replacement strut mounts stronger? My car has less than 40000 miles. I hope the replacements are better.

Reply to
c0smic

Point well taken with the picture! Is this another fine GM engineering job? I wonder if the guys designing the GM V6 intake manifold gasket took the day off and designed the strut mounting system.

Like Skid asked, do you think the replacement strut mounts are built to last? I am about 99% sure I will only be doing the rear struts at this time to nurse this 98 pig along.

Thanks for your replies Lane!

Mike

You win the prize Lane. One of the sway bars was binding. Boy that made a gawd awful noise!

Mike