Mine was worse

The only thing that kept my Saturn from excessive burning was this:

but alas I cant find this oil ANYWHERE after I tried it in my car. Oddly enough it was about $3/art cheaper than Mobil 1 Synthetic - and its synthetic itself. Bizarre? I think so!

Reply to
HyperCube33 (Life2Death)

No suprize, SYN is the last thing you want in a worn engine. Walmart might carry it or Advanced Auto might have it or be able to get it for you. You could just use Mobil 5000 miles oil too in 10w30 with likely same results. 5w30 is not a wise choice SYN or conventional in a worn engine.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Reply to
HyperCube33 (Life2Death)

Ratings on conventional oil are misleading, especailly with 5w30. The test the flow of them at ) and 200 degrees and it has to fall in a certain range to pass ratings but oil gets a lot hotter than 200 in piston ring area and oil things out more. They ad a viscosity modifier to conventional oil called VI and 5w30 has a lot of it. It breaks down wiyh higher temps and thins oil out further and increases consumption (10-30w conv has less of it). SYN oil is more stabile at higher temps and also has a higher volatility tempature so it does not break down as quickly. SOme hang by 5w30 but that spec is for when engine was new and tight and as it wears clearnces increase and a

10w30 oil will generaly play better. The high VI content in 5w30 conventional aslo cooks out in rings causing them to stick and seal less which increase consumption too (Saturns are bad about this). 10w30 conventional has less VI and is less prone to gum up rings. Things are not always as cut and dried as they seem and conventional oil 5w30 is not the same at 250 degrees as 10w30 is. SYN oil does not depend on VI persay to control its viscosity.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan