motor mount threads stripped?

Hello,

My son has a 94 SC1.

The motor mount on the top passenger side of engine (Torque Axis Mount) threads in the engine are stripped, all three of them. That side of the engine just drops down and rests on the frame. The bolts are ok but the threads in the block are stripped.

He called the Saturn dealer and they want $157 to retap it. I didn't speak to them so I'm not sure of the precedure they would use. (that is, would they drill and tap to a larger diameter bolt, etc).

Has anyone encounted this and attempted to fix it themselves?

Thanks for any advice.

chuck

Reply to
callen1155

Google "helicoil"

happy landings,

Reply to
Private

Do not helicoil it. It is very brittle aluminum that holds alot of weight. Do you plan on doing it yourself? If so, just change the timing cover with a new/used on with good threads. You can find them cheap at junk yards or on saturn message boards...... Maybe $50 or so. Would take maybe 2-3 hours if you havent done it before. And you dont have to touch ANY timing parts, just the cover.

Reply to
TheLastDonSC2

Thanks. Thats a good plan. I'll see if we can find a used timing cover. Sounds much better than the helicoil fix.

TheLastD> Do not helicoil it. It is very brittle aluminum that holds alot of weight.

Reply to
callen1155