Must remove DEPLOYED driver airbag - any help out there?

Hello all,

We're new here - we just bought a used 2000 SL that was in an accident. We got it for very very cheap and have been doing all the work ourselves, with the help of a more knowledgable hobbyist mechanic.

Anyway, the airbags both deployed in the accident. We bought new ones online and have managed to replace the passenger side with no problem, but we're having a heck of a time with the driver side. The plate with the four screws or coils that is attached to the steering wheel seems impossible to remove, and unless we do, we can't get the new bag in.

We have EVERYTHING disconnected so there should be no risk of deployment. It seems all the info online is based around that danger. But what if the bags are already deployed AND everything's unplugged...anyone willing to help? We have the Haynes manual which says nothing except for how to DISABLE, not remove.

Are we missing something here - how do we get this plate off?

Thanks so much....this is obviously making us (well, me) nuts.

-Heather

Reply to
i'mnew

"i'mnew" typed until their fingers bled, and came up with:

.

you remove the driver's airbag by removing the 2 bolts off the sides.

Reply to
Kevin M. Keller

Reply to
George Wilson