Need help - New water pump "dragging"

I got the new water pump bolted up on my '96 SL. After installing the pulley, I gave it a spin. Of course it is a little stiffer turning than the old pump, but it seems to have a tight spot at the same place on each rotation, for about 45 degrees.. Kind of makes a real light squeal at the tight spot, not sure if the impeller is hitting the aluminum block or its just the new seal.

The pump is an Autozone "lifetime Warranty" one, not the cheapest they had. Do you think the pump could be bad, or is a tight spot normal on a new pump? Or is it possible that I bolted it up off center?

Larry

Reply to
Larry

Haven't had experience with the Saturn, but other water pumps I have used are sometimes rebuilt with the impeller installed cockeyed on the shaft. You don't notice it until installed (if the clearances are tight). The other possibility is a bent shaft.

I suggest returning it in either case.

Good luck.

Reply to
Johnca

I am going with a possible bent shafttoo. Return it for a new one.

SnoMan