Need help with ignition key switch lock

Greetings.

I have a 2006 Saturn Ion coupe, which is showing a problem with the ignition key switch lock. (I also have a 2003 VUE, but that's not strictly relevant right now ;-) It has the automatic transmission, which is probably relevant.

Sometimes when I shut the car off the key doesn't release. This happened a couple of times when the car was new, but the dealer couldn't find anything. For years it has only happened rarely. Now it's happening frequently, and a couple of times I've had to turn the engine back on and even put the car in gear and move it, and then shut everything down again to get the key out. Sometimes I just have to put it in the 'run' position and move the shift lever in gear and back into park, but it's getting very annoying.

I have the Haynes manual, but the key circuit is not included in any of the wiring diagrams. The section in the manual that covers the steering column is a bit sparse on details. It does show how to replace an ignition switch, but says nothing about the interlock. (It also doesn't say anything about replacing the cruise control +/- switch assembly, but that's another topic.)

I haven't been able to come up with the correct search engine terms to point me to more information on this circuit, or even a circuit diagram. I would like to fix this, even if it means adding a new push switch to manually trigger the release mechanism. I'm even willing to modify the switch if I have to to eliminate the key retention feature, but that would be a last resort.

Do any of you know how to fix this, or can you point me to a web page or other resource on the subject, or give me some web search engine phrases that will find web pages that cover this topic? Or is there some sort of work-around that will easily convince the car to release the key?

Thanks very much.

Bart.

Reply to
B. Z. Lederman

Haynes is a good manual but nothing beats the original factory manual. At $200 it isn't cheap but it IS all there.

Reply to
Oppie