New to Saturn

I have recently bought a station wagon 1998 with 5 speed transmission. (I think 1.9L single overhead cam). We are planning to pick this car this week as it is going through safety inspection right now. It has 100,000Km, Could anyone tell me a bit more about this engine such as typical problematic areas. For example, water pump and ignition module or injectors. I am planning to have the timing belt replaced within a week, do I have to replace water pump too? Coolant, Is it Dexcool? Any issue with the coolant system?

Thx in advance for your help.

Reply to
Paul

"Paul" typed until their fingers bled, and came up with:

No timing belt - you have a chain. alternators can be a weak point. keep the oil changed and you will keep the chain happy. and yes, teh coolant is dexcool.

Reply to
Kevin M. Keller

Before you accept the car, check for the dreaded (and common) oil-burn problem. Look at the dip stick, the oil fill cap, PCV valve and throttle body, not the oil.

Reply to
Steve

Thanks, The information I found from internet seems to indicate that Saturn engine suffer heavy oil consumption (1 qt after 400 to 500 miles) Ouch!. It also said that this oil consumption problem normally occurs at 70,000 miles and above. Few have suggest to replace PCV valve while other said that an oil ring is start to fail that engine over haul is required to control the oil consumption. One most elegant solution to the problem is to switch oil grade to 20W50! So is this a common to majority Saturn owners or just a few isolate incident? Should I switch to 20W50 oil once I pickup the car?

Paul

The only reason to go to a 20W50 is to slow an existing leak, but you also starve your engine for lubrication which can make new leaks. If it's not consuming a bunch of oil when you get it, the best plan is to use a good "high-mileage" oil (high-mileage synthetics are available) and change it often.

with:

transmission.

Reply to
Steve

NO! With oil that thick, it might not evenly flow through some tiny ports, creating localized underlubrication, and over heating. You want to follow the manufactures oil viscosity recommendations. If the car burns oil, you shouldn't buy it. Unless the car is real cheap. The oil burning issue could cause the car to fail inspections(smoking), and I'm sure there are other cars out there that are in better condition you can buy.

imho,

tom @

newsgroups01REMOVEME

with:

transmission.

Reply to
Paul
5W30 is what Saturn recommends year round. The lighter (compared to 10W30) oil provides for higher fuel efficiency. I prefer to use 5W30 in Winter and the 10W30 during spring/summer/fall in all my vehicles since 10W30 provides superior high temperature lubrication and cold starting is not an issue for me during the rest of the year.

Sounds like the car is in good shape. Ask to get the maintenance records and then you will know for sure. Good luck!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman