niosy belt help

I own a 95 Saturn SL . The alternator was replaced 1 year ago recently I have been getting loud squealing noise . I know that its the belt getting lose. Where is the pulley located to adjust the tension on the Belt.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

There is no way to adjust the tension. It is spring loaded to a predetermined tension. The auto-tensioner is located just under the power steering pump. The easiest way to replace the tensioner is to remove the right front wheel, remove the plastic inner fender flap and it is right there.

Good luck, James

Reply to
James1549

It is possible that, for example, the AC compressor clutch is going out. Or the belt itself may simply need to be replaced.

Look near the front, passenger side under the AC compressor for the tension markings. You should find the tensioner there. If the alternator was replaced and the belt wasn't at the time or recently before that, you may want to consider replacing the belt. Cheap and pretty easy to do. Also not something you want to have fail if you prefer not being stranded.

AFAIK, there is no "adjustment" of the tension; the tensioner is only for removing and re-installing the drivebelt.

-rj

98SL2

Peter wrote:

Reply to
richard hornsby

If you're sure it's a loose belt causing the noise, it's likely your tensioner...a spring-loaded pully down below your idler pully / power steering / alternator.

If the 95 is like the 94, it's a pretty easy fix. Take off the passenger wheel and the plastic spash guards (use care in removing the plastic "pins" that hold the guards in place...they're several bucks each if you have to go to saturn for them.

The tensioner is held in place with two bolts. You need nimble fingers, but it's not hard. Maybe $50 for the part. Replace the belt while you're at it....about $16.

Now, there are a number of things running on this belt...the tensioner pully, the idler pully, A/C, Pwr steering, alternator, water pump. You can get a squeal out of any of the pullies on any of this equipt. I replaced my tensioner which wasn't necessary...since the noise I was hearing was a bad bearing in my idler pully...only $21. But after 160Kmiles, I thought it wasn't a bad repair.

but if you're sure it's a loose belt, then the tensioner is the likely culprit. You can't adjust it. It comes spring loaded.

Good luck

Barry in C'Ville

Reply to
Barry Schnoor

There's an idler pulley and a tensioner pulley. The tensioner provides the tension to the belt and isn't really adjustable.

A metal-on-metal squealing sound at low RPM's is probably the bearings going bad in either the idler or tensioner. They failed about 3 months apart on my wife's 92 SL1. You may as well do both at the same time.

Idler was around $40, Tensioner was $140, just for the parts. Unbelievably high dealer prices. Some here have replaced just the bearings and saved big bucks.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Ouch that hurts. Tensioner was around $45 or $50 at advance auto when I did mine a couple years ago......

Reply to
BANDIT2941