Noisey VUE

My 2003 VUE has at least 2 noise problems.

  1. The whole car creak and moans like a 40 year old truck.
  2. When the steering wheel is turned, it sounds like plastic noises but I can't pinpoint them. I reached way down under the dashboard and found some kind of metal part (inside the car) and it seems to have an oily coating on it (don't know if it's supposed to have oil on it). Anyway, I can't believe how noisy it is, and the only reason I don't hear it on the turnpike is because the tires are so noisy. Any ideas? Thanks in advance (you guys are great!) Scout
Reply to
Scout

Yeah - me too! (2003 V6 FWD - 33k mi.) I was getting some squeaking (maybe bushings?) and some noise during right turns (like when going around a clover-leaf - I was thinking wheel bearing?). For some reason, both noises have seemed to disappear with the coming of the cold weather. I dunno???

Reply to
Chuck

Steering - Steering Column Rattling Noise

File in Section: 02 - Steering

Bulletin No.: 04-02-35-006

Issue Date: April, 2004

Subject: Rattle Noise from Steering Column (Replace Steering Column)

Models Affected:

2002-2004 Saturn VUE Vehicles 2003-2004 Saturn ION Vehicles

Attention: Fixed Operations Manager and Technician

Condition:

Some customers may comment on a rattle noise from the steering column when changing direction or hitting bumps.

Cause:

This condition may be caused by excessive clearance between the steering column assist motor gear teeth.

Correction:

Verify the condition by following the procedures in this bulletin and, if necessary, replace the steering column.

Service Procedure

  1. Verify the customer comment. Using Chassis Ear (SA9217NE) or similar tool, determine the source of the noise.
  2. If the raffle noise is coming from the steering column assembly, replace the steering column. (Refer to the latest Parts and Illustration Catalog for the appropriate steering column part number.)

^ For 2003-2004 ION vehicles, refer to the "Steering Column Replacement" procedure in the Steering section of the 2003 or 2004 Saturn ION Service Manual, Vol. 1 (SI Document ID #

877152). ^ For 2002-2003 VUE vehicles, refer to the "Steering Column Removal and Installation" procedures in the Steering section of the 2002-2003 Saturn VUE Chassis Service Manual, Vol. 1 (SI Document ID # 1197613). ^ For 2004 VUE vehicles, refer to the "Steering Column Replacement" procedure in the Steering section of the 2004 Saturn VUE Service Manual, Vol.1 (51 Document ID # 1197613).
  1. Verify the repair by repeating Step 1 above.

Steering - Squeak/Squeal Noise While Turning

File in Section: 02 - Steering

Bulletin No.: 03-02-34-002

Issue Date: November, 2003

Subject: Squeak or Squeal Noise While Turning Vehicle (Apply Grease to Intermediate Steering Shaft)

Models Affected:

2002-2003 Saturn VUE Vehicles 2003 Saturn ION Vehicles

Attention: Technician

Condition:

Some customers may comment on a squeak or squeal noise coming from the base of the steering column while turning vehicle.

Cause:

The squeak or squeal noise may be caused by insufficient lubrication of the intermediate steering shaft-to-rubber boot contact area.

Correction:

Lubricate the intermediate steering shaft-to-rubber boot contact area using grease kit (P/N 22731003).

Service Procedure:

  1. Verify customer concern.
  2. Obtain grease kit (P/N 22731003) and apply grease to the intermediate shaft to boot contact areas by following the instructions provided with the grease kit.
  3. Verify that the squeak or squeal noise has been eliminated.

Suspension (Front) - Squeak Noise While Turning

BULLETIN NO.: 02-T-51

ISSUE DATE: July, 2002

CATEGORY TYPE: Chassis - 09

CATEGORY: Front Suspension

CORPORATION NO.: 02-03-08-007

SUBJECT: Squeak Noise From Front of Vehicle While Turning (Modify the Rosebud Fastener and Install Second Design Pilot Rings)

MODELS AFFECTED:

2002 Saturn VUE vehicles

CONDITION: Some customers may comment about a squeak or creak noise coming from the front of the vehicle when turning.

CAUSE: This condition may be caused by a rosebud fastener contacting the left front coil spring or by a metallic contact in the strut mount assembly.

CORRECTION: To correct this condition, modify the rosebud fastener and install second design pilot rings P/N 22706316. Refer to service procedure in this bulletin.

Steering/Suspension - Slow Speed Squeaking Noise

File in Section: 03 - Suspension

Bulletin No.: 03-03-08-OO1A

Issue Date: February, 2004

Subject: Squeak Noise from Front of Vehicle (Replace Stabilizer Bar End Links)

Models Affected:

2002-2004 Saturn VUE vehicles built after VIN Breakpoint 2S823040 and prior to VIN Breakpoint 4S828475

Attention: Fixed Operations Manager, Parts Manager, and Technician

This bulletin is being revised to update the model years and Correction information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-03-08-001 (Section 03 - Suspension).

Condition:

Some customers may comment on a squeak noise from the front of the vehicle during slow speed maneuvers

Cause:

This condition may be caused by insufficient clearance in the stabilizer bar end link ball sockets.

Correction:

Verify the condition by following the procedures in this bulletin, and if necessary install new stabilizer bar end links, P/N 15141759 left and P/N 15141760 - right.

Service Procedure:

  1. Verity the customer comment.

^ To put tension in the stabilizer bar, place one front wheel/tire assembly on a suitable elevated platform approximately 203.2 mm (8 in) higher than the remaining three road wheels. ^ Rotate the steering wheel slowly from stop to stop. ^ Using Chassis Ear (SA 9217NE) or similar tool, determine the source of the noise.

  1. If the noise is coming from the stabilizer bar end link, replace the noisy end link, P/N 15141759 - left and P/N
15141760 - right, using the "Front Stabilizer Bar Links" procedure in the Front Suspension section of the 2002-2003/2004 Saturn VUE Chassis Service Manual.
  1. Verify the repair by performing step 1 above.
Reply to
C. E. White

Thanks C.E.! Now that my warranty is over, this may be helpful.

Reply to
Chuck

If you have a written receipt of the complaint during the warranty they should still fix it.

Reply to
Art

"C. E. White" wrote

Thanks C.E., I haven't located the other problems yet, but this piece of advice was right on the money! Scout

Reply to
Scout