odometer

i have a 1994 SL1 with 92K miles. the odometer/trip odometer just stopped working. thank you in advance for all the help.

Reply to
Alphonse Delgado

typical of that year, thru 1995 SL's. There is a tiny plastic gear that drives the odo that breaks. It is a tedious process to replace the gear, remove the dash, gauges, dig deep, etc. If you are mechanically inclined and like very tiny parts, go for it, otherwise, it is an expensive and time consuming repair. There are companies if you Google that sell that particular odo gear.

Reply to
marx404

Go to

They have the gears you need. Asanother poster noted, it's a fair amount of work - but the cost forboth gears is only about $50. It's usually just the small gear thatbreaks, but due to the amount of work to get to the gears, I wouldreplace both. I have replaced the gears in 1 Saturn, 3 Volvos, and 1Oldsmobile. The 1992 Saturn was the 2nd easiest to do. While you areat it, you may want to replace any burned out lights in the cluster.Having done so many of these, I would change out at least the clusterillumination lights. The indicator lights tend not to burn out. Terry

Reply to
Son_Worshipper

I realize this is a second reply. It is possible to replace the entire cluster with a used one. Having bought several, I can tell you that the gears were broken in over half of them. Buying new gears, IMHO, is the way to go.

Terry

Reply to
Son_Worshipper

VERY TRUE! I went to the junk yard looking for a replacement dash cluster and brought home a dud! Then I went back to the same yard and proceeded to take apart EIGHT clusters looking for an intact gear set. NO LUCK WHATSOEVER! Out of NINE Saturns in the junkyard, NINE had broken gears! (Probably because of the intense heat and UV light down here in Texas)

So - I went ahead and bought the pinion gear from plasticgears.com or whatever it is... THAT worked. The guy shipped pretty fast and makes a good product.

-Don C. PS - In 95 the gear drive changed drastically - you probably would have this problem with 1994 models and earlier.

Reply to
wavy