odometer backlight

My '99 SL2 last night decided that the back light for the odometer was going to burn out . The dash light for the speedo and the tach are just fine yet.

In proper light I can see the mileage and so forth so the odometer itself is not dead.

Question is how much of an ordeal is it to get the light replaced? Anyone have it done at the dealer and what was the freight?

Thanks gck

Reply to
Gary Klein

My '99 SL2 last night decided that the back light for the odometer was going to burn out . The dash light for the speedo and the tach are just fine yet.

In proper light I can see the mileage and so forth so the odometer itself is not dead.

Question is how much of an ordeal is it to get the light replaced? Anyone have it done at the dealer and what was the freight?

Thanks gck

Reply to
Gary Klein

Just changed 6 of the bulbs in a 2001 SL1 dash. The part that took me the longest was driving to the Saturn dealer to get the bulbs. That was the only place that had them. Took me about 1 hour to change the bulbs. The hardest part was getting the plug out of the instrument cluster, not much extra wire or room to get your hand back there. I called the Saturn dealer and they wanted $120.00 plus $5.00 for each bulb. If your 99 is like my 02 there are 10 different bulbs in the cluster. Get a Multimeter to check the bulbs, they are hard to tell if they are burned out. One other thing when I went to the Saturn dealer the person at the parts counter said there were only 4 bulbs not 10. Had to go back and get more. If you need some help getting it out e-mail me.

SMMM

Reply to
SMMM

How much is the 10 bulbs, and are they another amazing Saturn-only part? I'm thinking, since my saturn's got 200,000+ on it, I might swap out the bulbs given that a) some are bad and b) bulbs of this type get dim with age anyway. Last time I did a brake light bulb, I did ALL of them in the back, and the others were all pretty dark inside, too. At least with brake lights, the extra $5 is cheap vs getting pulled over or worse, rear ended, and if one's dead, the others are probbably on the way out too anyway.

Given what it is to pull the dash and change the bulbs, it's probbably better to just swap them all out...

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

Reply to
Alex Marcuzzi

$500.00 ... seriously ... its all one unit.

Reply to
ProfWdesk1

Each bulb was about $3.50 plus $5.00 for the speedometer bulb. I checked 6 different auto parts stores and none of them carried the right one. I found some at one store that said they were the kind I did need but when I pulled the dash out I found out they were not. I even spent time looking at auto part web sites and found the same bulb on some of them that are the wrong ones. Ended up getting them all at Saturn Dealer

SMMM

Reply to
SMMM