Odometer stopping on 94 SC2

Hi

My odometer and trip meter have been stopping occasionally lately. Then they start up again all by themselves. The speedometer works all the time. Any ideas anyone?

Fred

94 SC2
Reply to
Fred

Yup, unfortunately, your ODO is on the way out. It is controlled by a tiny plastic gear that was poorly designed by Saturn which breaks in '93 '94 models commonly. It is not easily accessible, it's back in the gauge cluster. It can be replaced, but it is expensive. Best not to touch it while the car is moving, that's how many break.

Reply to
marx404

I wouldn't blame this one on Saturn. I have lost 3 gears on Volvos and one on a '92 SC. I have a '93 SL2 with 224,000 miles and the original gears. Go to odometergears.com to get replacements. There are 2 gears. They are $25 each. It's usually the smaller one that breaks. It is a good deal of work to remove the cluster, the speedometer unit, the odometer, and finally, the gears. Replace both and get it over with. Don't buy a used cluster to fix this problem. I have bought 2 and been given 1. The gears were broken in every one. I suspect your gear is in the process of losing a tooth. I hope this helps.

Terry

Reply to
Son_Worshipper

[...]

Thanks all for the tips. It started woking again and has been good so it looks like the lost tooth must be it. I'll have to fix it when I get a chance.

Fred

Reply to
Fred

Is this related to the "scrunch, scrunch" sound my '97 odometer makes in cold weather? It works well, but it just makes noise. I found out there was a bulletin on it, and that it costs $200 to fix, so I decided to live with it.

Just wondered if this is a related problem or if it's something completely different.

RK Henry

Reply to
RK Henry

Hi

I don't hear any noise on mine. Just stops and starts whever it feels like!

Fred

Reply to
Fred

I guess not too many here know about these things. I'll see what I can find on google.

Fred

Reply to
Fred

Try Saturnfans.com