Oil

On my '96 Saturn with 187,000 miles, which uses a slight amount of oil...but runs perfectly........

is it OK to use 10W-40 motor oil?

I was figuring with all the miles and wear on the motor....the tolerances must have widened a bit and a slightly thinker oil might be good......

any help would be appreciated.

thanks Bob

Reply to
Bob

My two cents:

I'd not use it in cold weather though since it will take longer to get to the valves due to the higher viscosity. I use 10W-30 in summer and 5W-30 in winter in my son's 1996 with 140K miles where we live it gets cold usually (this winter is the exception). I'd imagine 10W-40 would be fine for summer in that mileage. Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

No it is not. It is not a approved oil for any modern GM engine. GM had boat loads of stuck ring problems in 80's blamed on 10w40's high VI content cooking out in rings. Use 10w30 or 15W40 in hot weahter if you want a thicker oil but stay far away from 10w40

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

imho:

Use only oil viscosities that the manufacturer recommends. Because you assume ALL areas have worn through to safely use a heavier oil, but there could places where the clearances are too tight to allow proper oil flow. Also, your oil pump is designed to pump a certian weight of oil. You could be effecting it's performance, and cooling of internal parts.

As you can tell, I would stick with the normal viscosities. ;)

tom @

Tom The Great