oil in my coolant

looks like i have a blown head gasket or warped head. i found oil in my coolant. i like to do the work myself.looks like a big job and i have never done any cylinder head removal or installation.my question is do i have to remove the engine or just raise it a little and put a jack under the oil pan than remove the cover and chain(and probaly the water pump pulley).

Reply to
bothrops

"bothrops" typed until their fingers bled, and came up with:

Yes, you can do it with the engine in the car. to get the front cover off, you'll need to raise & lower the engine on the jack a few times.

What model do you have? If it is a '95-'96 SOHC, you may have a cracked head - there is a known casting flaw on those heads.

Reply to
Kevin M. Keller

yes its a 95 sohc, head may be cracked . the car never overheated the cracks they are talking about are perosity cracks during the casting process.The engine has over 340,000 km so its doubtfull the head's cracked. if it is cracked saturn should reinburse me for the cost because they knew that a low percentage of the heads had casting flaws but released them anyway

Reply to
bothrops

"bothrops" typed until their fingers bled, and came up with:

My friends head didn't crack until it had almost 150K miles on it, so don't rule it out - had to do the job twice.

And they did extend the warranty to 100K miles or 6 years. They can't extend it forever.

Reply to
Kevin M. Keller

Reply to
Tuneup

After consulting a mechanic, I decided to replace the head gasket. So I checked the head for cracks and warpage and everything checked out ok, so I installed a head set and I took the car for a test drive and the exact same thing happened again. Oil started bubbling out of the coolant expansion tank and the dipstick showed I was down a quart. I am now wondering if that the block is cracked (possibly an internal crack). There is no antifreeze in the oil. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who may have any ideas or suggestions on solving this problem. Thanks.

Reply to
bothrops

Did you check it, or did you take it somewhere and have it pressure tested?

Reply to
Skip

"bothrops" typed until their fingers bled, and came up with:

Is this a '95-'96 SOHC? There is a known casting flaw that affects SOME of these motors. I did the same thing on my friend's - replaced the head gasket before having to replace the whole head. Good thing I had my spare SOHC engine sitting around.

Reply to
Kevin M. Keller

yes i had it checked out by the local machine shop

Reply to
bothrops