Oil Independence Day 2006

*whatever*

I have worked on lots of different cars over the years. In terms of drivetrain reliability, Honda is definitely above average. If we were talking about Mitsubishi or Toyota, then I'd agree with you.

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

Not as long as I would own a car. Will kill resale value when people relise what the damn things cost.

Look no further than at golf cart or fork lift batteries. $1000-$5000 (buy a used 7 year old hybrid for 5 grand, spend another 5 grand on the battery. Yeah that will happen... Oh and spend another 5 grand on repairs because of the extra labor involved working on and around more frig'n system's)

Yes.

AFAIK only the supercharged Ecotec is made in Germany. Some Saturn chassis's tend to be Opel in origin but made here from what I remember.

Especially if they're the interference type.

Once the 3800's gone there wont be a V6 by GM, or anyone, that I would buy anymore but as far as 4 cylinders (inline 5 & 6's as well) and 8 cylinders engines and transmissions (discounting the cvt) GM is way ahead of the game in my opinion. GM does a better job of making most engines mechanic friendly.

I read a rumor of the Vue production being relocated to Mexico in 2008. If this is the case 2007's are the last model I'll be interested in. Funny thing... Car companies will send production out of the US to reduce cost but I doubt a 2008 or above Vue will be any cheaper than any previous Vue... [cough cough d*ckheads cough cough]

Spoken like a true import owner!!! Yeah I'll part with my 98' Bonneville ummmm 10 years from now LMAO! XD

Recall notices or TSB's? I had a recall on a fuel pressure regulator and that was it! If you are talking about TSB's the number of TSB's mean nothing. You can find a lot of TSB's on one car but you can quickly cut them in half on which powerplant and transmission you have. Then the rest of the TSBs seldom ever apply. Some are even stupid things like trim removal.

Here's a fun one to have, research Service Bulletin 01-009. Its a Honda TSB btw.

Reply to
BläBlä

I know a few people who have hybrids and have read posts by many on Usenet and i don't think any of them ever expressed any certainty that they would save money. Most assume they won't.

The intent for most of them is to reduce CO2 emissions, for which the cars are very effective.

Reply to
satyr

Are you kidding? Everyone asks this. The answer is 150,000 miles or more. YMMV

I just saw a post saying that used battery packs from crashed cars are going for $1000 or less. Buyers are mostly experimenters.

Toyota pays a $200 bounty for batteries. The NiMH batteries are considered less hazardous than lead acid.

Reply to
satyr

Good point. I think GM has lost site of what the Saturn should realy be. Word is they want to migrate it into a upper scale brand and abondon the economy part of the line and Saturn built it reputation in the early years on simplicity and durabilty as there is a lot of old high milrage Saturns out there but the new models are less and less capable of the same performace in this regard and it may bring a slow death to the brand if they forget their roots.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Toyota has got their act together and I have seen some go some incredible mileages. 200K is nothing for a old Toy and they are easier to work on too. Honda focus on cars seem to be creature comforts first and serviceablity second were Toyoa seems to balance this better.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Well, on a completely SELFISH view of things, yes. I suspect the hybrid (or alternative fuel cell) research was driven more by the fact that fossil fuels are FINITE, and there are DEPENDANCY and ENVIRONMENTAL concerns. In fact, I find it safer to presume that one who purchases a hybrid is less concerned about their wallet as they are about the environment and in long-term sustainability for their children and children's children, but then you are called 'bla bla' for a reason.

So no, to answer your qeustion, NO. Your premise is off base. No one in their right mind is purchasing a hybrid Vue to 'save money'.

Why

My calculations show one would have to drive over 213,000 miles (presuming a savings of about 19% on their fuel bill at current prices of $3./gal.)...[ahhh, but what will gas cost in another year, or 3 years, or 5 years?]. You only save about $7.00/tank (of 12 gallons). To recoup the $4500 price difference, you'd need to fill up 658 times (times a presumed 324 miles/tank).

The almighty profit? No one has ever purchased a Saturn vehicle in order to make a profit, n*****ts.

People aren't stupid. Only bean counters that have no concern for a sustainable future and who purchase a green Vue 'for profit' are stupid. To that end, we agree.

Sir Creep

Reply to
Sir Creep