Oil Pressure Light

I searched the topics and didnt' find this same question. My oil pressure light stays on for 10-15 seconds sometimes. Sometimes it goes off in a "normal" amount of time.

When the light stays on there is a "ticking" coming from the engine. As soon as the light goes off the sound goes away. So it would seem that the whole engine isn't getting oil right away. Although as I said this doesn't occurr all of the time.

It is a 1997 1.9 liter with about 50,000 on it. Trying to get an idea of what this is gong to cost to fix before I take to the shop. Thanks

Reply to
scsd094

More info please: Oil level checked on level ground and if so is it up to full mark? What spec/weight oil? Filter and oil changed regularly at 3K miles? The ticking is usually a sign that the overhead cam and valve train in the head is starved for oil. Could be a defective pump, but at 50K miles, I'd bet the oil is low or the oil was not changed regularly so the oil pickup is clogged. You could try an engine flush, but they have been known to cause leaks and possible damage since you are basically pouring a quart of kerosene into the oil crank case. You could also try to use a good synthetic oil, like 5W-30 Mobile One. You might also try using a small amount of oil additive, like Marvel Mystery Oil, when you put in fresh oil for the next few oil changes to see if it helps.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Oil is full on level ground. Usually changed every 3000-4000 miles. It is about due for an oil change so I will try your suggestions.

Thanks

Reply to
scsd094