Opinions on oil change frequency

Here's my situation: 98 SL2 (62K miles) living in central NY. I only drive it a few times a month, usually for about 5 miles each way (half of them on highway, half on surface streets). So, maybe up to 100 miles/mo.

Before, in San Diego (when I drove 1K/month), I was changing with Mobil 1 synthetic every 3 months. Minimal oil consumption. Any opinions on whether I can safely decrease my oil changing frequency given my new circumstances?

Reply to
Louis Hom

On a car that is only occasionally driven, there is more a problem with moisture accumulating. I have an old VW that is similarly driven and I use mineral oil rather than the synthetic and change it every 6 months regardless.

Not sure what you can get away with using the synthetic oils.

Boy, what a climate change moving from sunny SoCa to Central NY.

Oppie 20 mi North of NYC

____________________________________________________________________________ __

Reply to
Oppie

...think I'd take it in (or change your own) every 3 months since the rule I'm familiar with is 3 months or 3000 miles (which ever comes first). I don't know if synth can handle the acids, etc that form from low usage any better than dino oil - maybe someone else can comment.

San Diego is freezing at the moment - 60 degrees and some clouds too. I might have to stay home from work tomorrow because of the severe weather conditions... (smile) On the flipside - the news said California is due for a big quake in September (should be interesting).

____________________________________________________________________________ __

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Or the other way around...

Orange County, NY -> Biloxi, MS -> San Antonio, TX

Reply to
William Hughes

the BIG quake?....lol just like the spaceman of OB? if you have been there awhile jonnie you know what i am talkin about....lol on my truck i have i go 4 months or 3000 miles BUT in my wifes saturn she goes 3 months or 3000miles. BOY do i miss them really cold days of san diego with the freezin temps in the 60s. think here tonight in NC we are going to have a heat wave for a over night low of 28 degrees....lol

Reply to
Charles H.

Dyno oil, 98 SL2, 127,000 miles. Change every 5,000 miles with new filter. Usually run cars from 200,000 to 250,000. Started driving in '64. NEVER had an engine problem.

Do you think the 3,000 mile rule is pushed by oil co's to sell more oil?

2001 Jetta VW. Recommended oil change by manufacturer is 10,000 with new filter. We use syn and change about every 8,500 miles. Over 65,000 miles, no problems.
Reply to
Dermott

I do the same (5,000mi w/ filter change). I used to do 3,000mi w/ filter change but, the more I thought about it, the more ridiculous it seemed. As long as you check your oil level across the 5,000mi, I think it's fine. I think my wife's Toyota Sienna says 7,000mi between changes. I think Saturn may recommend the same (I don't think the manual says 3,000 but I'd have to look again to be sure). I don't know if the oil companies are the ones who started the 3,000mi rule but it is certainly one that sticks in everyone's head and there are people who do it religiously.

Enjoy!

Brad

Reply to
Brad Bishop

Reply to
Wilf (don't bother e-mailing m

I think it was started by people who make a living by changing that damp oil...

Reply to
Jerry

My opinion is that if your vehicle falls into the "severe service" category (short trips, extreme hot or cold temps, long periods of idling, frequent stop and go or dusty conditions) you should change your oil at the 3K intervals. It's cheap insurance and less likely to leak.

Reply to
Ken n Jill

You'd be hard pressed to find a vehicle that does not fall into the "severe service" category.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Yup its all a conspiracy by the evil oil companies...

If you've never d> I think it was started by people who make a living by changing that damp oil... >

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville