Opinions please 2008 Vue with 4 cylinder engine

My daughter is looking at the 2008 Vue with 4 cylinder engine. She wants the 4 because of the price and fuel economy being better than the 6. We have driven it and know it is not peppy like a 6, but willing to tolerate it because of the extra gas mileage.

What are your opinions of the vehicle as an owner?

Daughter is a bit concerned about the four banger as she us afraid the engine and transmission will wear out too quickly.

So owner opinions are appreciated.

Also, I noticed that some people on this group claim they negotiated the price on the Saturn vehicles. I thought Saturn did not do this so what is the secret?

Reply to
Hang_Traitor_Democrats

The newer 2.4L 4 cyl ecotec engine is one of the most popular and durable engines out there. Yes, the 6 would be much quicker than the 4 we are talking 169hp vs 257hp, big difference. Despite the smaller engine, it is durable and requires little maintenance. I have an ION with the smaller ecotec 2.2L engine, have had it for a yr and it has held up well so far. Most that I talk to have been very happy with the 4cyl engine.

Depending on how your daughter will treat her car, no engine, not a 4, 6 or

8 will be durable enough if you treat it like a disposable appliance. Treat your car good and it will treat you good, 4 or 6. That said, if she intends to beat on the car and is concerned about gas mileage , you are defeating your purpose, but as long as she properly maintains the car it will hold up well, even if she races it.

Most Saturn stores still stick to the "No Hassle No Haggle" prices and policy they are famous for, don't expect to wheel and deal like you can at Chevy or KIA. Don't be disappointed if they tell you so. Do expect that if the dealership is run like a traditional Saturn store that you will leave happily with a good deal.

Reply to
marx404

I can't speak for the '08, as this is a new design Vue (Opel), but I have an '06 with the 4 cyl.

Yes, getting it up to speed takes a little bit when comparing, but once you're cruising above 45, it sprints up to higher speed rather decently. I will also let you know the tranny makes a big difference. I don't know if the '08 is still available with the 5 speed stick, but if so and your daughter likes/can drive stick, go that route. The stick easily gets much better mileage than the auto both around town and on the highway, in part because you have control on the shift patterns in getting it up to speed as well as some other reasons. I also believe cruising RPM is lower with a stick because of the ratio. Others will be able to fill you in better if you're looking for specifics. The other main thing between the two is durability. The 4 cyl, as was mentioned, is very durable and has a timing chain as opposed to the 6 cyl Honda with a belt. The manual tranny is a (I believe) Italian solid, bullet-proof tranny. I get 24 city and got 29-30 on the highway on a recent trip. My father got a 6cyl auto 1 week after I bought mine. I have 60K on mine and have only had to change the front bearings and am still on my factory tires and brakes. My father is heavy on the brakes and does not rotate his tires regularly and just got a huge bill at his 35K check up (needed new front tires, brakes, etc)

I would stick to the stick and 4cyl as my opinion (if available)

IYM

Reply to
<IYM>

I don't own one, but I've had a similar experience with a 4 versus 6 cylinder engine in the same base vehicle. As long as she is not going to be doing any mountain driving, with a full load of passengers and cargo, she'll be okay with the 4 cylinder. It's not as safe due to the limited power during accelleration, but it sounds like she's alread aware of the trade-offs already.

It's a reliable engine so this should not be an issue. I don't know about the transmission.

No secret. Most Saturn dealers do negotiate, they just don't want to talk about it because it makes most customers not even try. You make it easier for them if you have a trade-in that they can jack up the value of, versus directly cutting the price. However the "one-price" policy has a lot of wiggle room, since the dealer is permitted to set the price based on changing market conditions. You want to haggle in the right way. Tell them that xyz has a similar vehicle, similarly equipped, for a street price that's however much less than the Vue.

There's a $1500 rebate right now on the Vue so the base price is $20,011 (for the 2.4L 169 HP engine), which is close to the street price of the Honda CR-V (around $20,000) with a 2.4L 166 HP engine. This is what Saturn usually does, they offer rebates to get their prices in-line with the competition. However the problem with this is that the add-ons are at full MSRP, which makes the Saturn cost a lot more once you go above the base model, unless you negotiate.

Also, watch out for unscrupulous Saturn dealers that attempt to charge _over_ MSRP, by adding on bogus fees. One dealer that my sister-in-law went to in South Carolina was trying to charge a $199 "closing fee," plus they wouldn't negotiate on price, insisting on pricing her trade- in at what it was actually worth (the nerve!). The dealer in the next town had only a $35 "closing fee" and did negotiate on price by inflating the value of her decrepit trade in far over even the retail KBB value, let alone the wholesale value.

Reply to
RepublicansDestroyAmerica

I have the 2005 V6 with the Honda engine.

I don't know about the Vue, but I just recently rented a dodge caliber four-banger.

I can tell you, it is bizarre driving a 4-cylinder. Of course, my DD is a Chevy Avalanche with the 5.3L V8, so going to an I4 is a serious change. But I drove the V6 Saturn today and felt much more in control having the extra two cylinders.

Just my $02.

Reply to
PerfectReign

The 4 cyl is much more powerful in the '08 than the '07 by 26hp (143 vs

169hp).There is no more stick option in the VUE but the automatic tranny can be manually gear changed for towing etc...Honduh and Toyota 4 cylindrs tend to be anemic especially in the lower cost models. I have personally gotten stuck going uphill in a corolla and had to get out and push, never had that trouble in my old 1.9L SL2. The new VUE 4 cylinder is a 2.4L a deriviatve of the SKY engine. I suggest driving both 4 and 6 cyl, then decide which meets your needs best, which is nothing anybody else can tell you.
Reply to
marx404

The 2.4 gets less mileage than the previous 2.2 and the 2.4 requires higher octane fuel.

I test drove the previous Vue, 2.2L - 4 speed auto. I thought it was a great SUV. The only kind of SUV I would own. (just never with a CVT)

The new Vue's weigh 3825lbs, the old ones were a good deal lighter IIRC. The powertrains were always solid so the added weight should have no impact. If it "wears out" it will be from someone not changing the fluids.

My opinion on the new Vue's is to stay away if you do not like imported automobiles. Neither the Powertrain or Chassis is made in the States. (Even though they cost more than the previous vue!) My advice is to save yourself some money by buying a used 2.2L vue. Also look at the Pontiac Vibes. The Vibe is the same thing as a Toyota Matrix only it looks a hell of a lot better. It is at the very least assembled in America, it has a 'timing chain', and it gets even better gas mileage.

-poster formally known as BlaBla

PS: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com is also SMS/Steven Scharf so expect some stuff to be made up or distorted. (If it wasn't already obvious...)

Reply to
=3FCronus

Timing chain would be a good thing. I wish my wife's Vue had one.

Why the nymshift? I liked blabla better.

Reply to
PerfectReign

Thanks but I felt it was time to retire it. It was originally blahblah=20 which was just me quickly filling in the required information so I could=20 post some quick replies. It seems ?Cronus? came out wrong. the =3D3f was=20 supposed to be a 'special character'. Cronus is associated with the=20 planet Saturn by the Romans so unlike before this name has some thought=20 put into it.

Reply to
-Cronus-

The 2.4L in the VUE does not require premium fuel as the SKY does, regular fuel will do.

Reply to
marx404

Sorry AFAIK, the 2.4L IS made in the US, the VUE is assembled in Aripez Mexico (I'm none too happy 'bout that, but look at the great improvement in quality now). NONE of the new VUE models have a timing belt, all have chains and are VVT. The 2.4L is a derivative of the SKY engine but only requires regular gas, not premium and the 6cyl is a derivative of the Cadillac CTS. Both of these engines come from the US. The transmission on both of these vehicles is a derivative of the GM Hydra-matic. Saturn stopped using the Honduh (belt driven) engine in '07 models as well as the 2.2L was retired. CVT engines were a flop and retired with the '04 model year, replaced by aisin (borg-warner) and hydra-matics. According to

Ecotecs (well at least '08 and under models) were mfg in Spring Hill, the Hydra-matics are made in Windsor, Ontario.

The only thing I do agree with is about the new 2009 Vibe GT (ala Matrix). The '09 models look less like a mutant milk truck and have a very sporty appeal to them. I like the new look Pontiac is going for. A definite contender against the VUE. However, lets compare HP ratings according to Cars.com:

2008 VUE

---------------

169-hp 2.4-liter I-4 222-hp 3.5-liter V-6 257-hp 3.6-liter V-6

2009 Vibe

---------------

132-hp 1.8-liter I-4 158-hp 2.4-liter I-4

Obviously, with the smaller engine, the Vibe would yield a few more (32mpg) over the VUE (26mpg). As well I believe that the VUE is a much heavier vehicle too.

More useful information can be researched here:

---------------------------------------------------------------------- marx404

Reply to
marx404

You seem to be correct on this 2.4 engine (Spring Hill, Tenn.). Seems like I seen these ecotecs were being made in Germany.

For their price I'd rather they were made in Spring Hill.

And what is the Sky engine a derivative of...

There are two V6's offered in the Vue. A 3.5 which is based on the 2.8/3.1 GM engines but with VVT and a dry intake. Not sure where they're making these. Michigan perhaps. (AKA GM's High-Value engine)

A 3.6 which is GM's global engine. Produced in Ontario Canada and Port Melbourne Australia. (AKA GM's High-Feature engine)

**Used in some Cadillacs, NOT CADILLACS ENGINE**

The 6T70 is produced in Warren Michigan The 4T45 is produced in Ontario Canada

CVT engines? Uh what are those? :)

[snip]

Never noticed the 2.4 before. New Toyota motor... Gas mileage isnt that great but thats not the one I would suggest the OP to look at. With gas nearing 4 dollars a gallon this is the one to look at

1.8L 132HP 26/32 mpg

The vibe weighs about 3000lbs depending on auto/manual trans. The 1.8L will have no issue pulling it. This is more on par with Astra Coupe which weighs about 100lbs less. The reasons why I didnt suggest the Astra is that it is imported, has 2 doors, and has a timing belt...

((I'm not even sure the OP is still watching this thread.))

Reply to
-Cronus-

My Avalanche is built in Sinaloa Mexico.

Still says Chevy on the side.

(It *is* odd, though. I swear the horn will occasionally play La Cucaracha.)

Reply to
PerfectReign

Gotcha!

I thought there was some significant meaning behind it. :P

Reply to
PerfectReign

Thanks to all for the suggestions and opinions. Last night we went to two dealerships to try and buy the 2.4L Vue. The difference in the deal between the two dealers was - believe it or not - about $1,000. One dealer offered $800 more on the trade-in than the other dealer and gave us more options on the Vue versus the other dealer. So we went with the much lower priced dealer and bought the Vue. Got more for less. Taking delivery tonight.

This is my daughter's third Saturn. She currently has a 2002 SL1. She had a 2000 SL1 and totaled it. We were amazed at how well she was protected in the 2000 during her single car crash, so we bought another one in 2002 to replace the 2000.

The good thing is now that she is out of college and on her own, the loan is in her name and she will be paying for the Vue. She and I had a lot of fun over the past week looking at different vehicles and she learned a lot about the car buying process and how some dealers scam. She also learned the "fine art" of getting up and walking out when the dealer and the buyer cannot achieve a meeting of the minds.

Reply to
Hang_Traitor_Democrats

Cronus? BlahBlah? Im sooo confused, lol.

Of course, I am a veritable catalogue of useless knowledge, haha. Wikipedia shows that the Ecotec was originally developed by GM Europe division for use in the Opel models, which (ahem) are sisters of Saturn and have actually been since the inception of the Saturn L-series (Opel Vectra). Opel is made in GmBh, S. America and other parts of the world and as well AKA Vauxhall. The Ecotec was also designed and used in other brands such as Lotus when they were under the GM name.

BTW - the SKY was originally designed in 2003 for the '04 Frankfurt Auto Show as a concept car for none other than Vauxhall, the following year the chassis design went to failing Pontiac to be trialed as the Solstice, was a smashing success and later went on as the full scale concept design under the Saturn SKY.

Reply to
marx404

Sisters/rebadged... whatever.

Lotus is and never was part of GM... Where are you getting this information? Lotus was no more under GM's name than Porche was under the Harley's name when the VRods engine was designed.

Oh where do I start... No the KAPPA platform concepts were not designed in 2003... No the Sky concept didnt become the Pontiac. You don't seem to understand the term "Platform". There were MANY kappa bodied cars conceptualized at the same damn time. The difference is Pontiacs body didnt change from the 02 concept and isnt shared with Opel or Daewoo.

Tell me, do you really think Pontiac got the 02 sky design?

I'm not sure how you can give Saturn any credit for the current Sky. It seems to me someone came up with the idea to rebadge Opels 2006 GT to make the 2007 Saturn Sky and the 2008 Daewoo G2X to save money.

Reply to
-Cronus-

WRONG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's a piece of Lotus's history...........

In 1986, General Motors took full control of Lotus and created Lotus Cars USA in

1987. That relationship lasted until 1993, when GM sold Lotus to Bugatti. Bugatti's ownership was even shorter; Lotus was sold to a Malaysian firm in 1996. The same year, Lotus began producing the flyweight Elise, a car that would quickly become the company's main product and financial savior. The Elise was finally imported to North America in 2004 after safety and emission considerations were overcome.

The whole article can be found here.............

Brian..........

Kill filters - The Enema Of The Usenet !!!!!

Reply to
Brian

You missed an explanation mark, here have this one !

in 1987. That

ownership was even shorter;

producing the flyweight

financial savior. The Elise

considerations were

Ok ok you're apperently right. However they were not part of GM during the the development of the Family II Ecotecs. Though this does explain their envolvement with the 1.9L saturn engines and their later involvement in the Family II Ecotecs.

Reply to
-Cronus-

Thank you Brian.

Reply to