Performance

Any comments on either the electronic superchargers being advertised on the net or the resistor that tricks the car into thinking it is colder outside?

Reply to
Lee3333

Both don't seem to pan out if I remember my threads... SAPS used to have an article on free horsepower you might wander over and check out, re:

Jonnie Santos

The electric supercharger seems like a good idea right? free hourse power, not drag from a pully, and no lag from exhaust, not so much, from what i've read. They seem to be really non-efficiant and wast alot of energy. and to me, controlling the boost seems a little tricky, i'm no sure how it's all setup. There are belt driven superchargers and turbo chargers online for the S-series, and new ION (2.2L) i'm sur ethere are for the L, but it's a tight fit under the hood. As for the resistor, they are junk dont' wast your money on it, your money would be better spent on cold air kit. the resistor wil make your car run like crap, run rich too, not worth it.

hope that helps

Reply to
Jeremiah

If anyone has a working Carfax account, I'd appreciate it if you'd run a report on a 1996 Explorer V-8 VIN

1FMDU32P3TZA58973.

Thanks

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Where do you think the power to run the "electric supercharger" comes from? A 2.2L engine running at 6000 rpm will need around 240 scfm boosted to 5 psig to get a large increase in power. This will require more than 5 horsepower (probably way more). Now go look at the size, power rquirements, and cabling requirments for a 5 hp electric motor and get back to me on how great an "electric supercharger" will work. The ads I've seen are a total fraud (see

for example). 240 scfmat only 2 psi will still require at least a couple ofhorespower ( 2 hp is approximately 1500 watts which at 12volts will require over 120 amps of current).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Heck lets just say for a moment you wanted to put a "real" supercharger or turbocharger on your 1.9 or ecotec. What would you need... Well for starters you would need to lower your compression to about 8:1 and while you were at it you would need forged pistons among many other things. IMO anyone one out there looking to spend THAT kind of "money" to make tiny little gains from their 4 banger "economy" cars would of been way ahead if they just bought something like a Trans-Am in the first place!

Just stick with what the factory gave you... If you got money burning a hole in your pocket, invest it in something more worth the effort. I've seen people spend 30 grand on Hondas, Toyota, Cavaliers and other crap and not increase the cars value by 1 buck. Those people would have been way ahead to have spent it on something like a old or new GTO. Heck even a replica Cobra would be a good choice.

Reply to
Blah Blah

Hello Ed,

Not to ra> If anyone has a working Carfax account, I'd appreciate it if

Reply to
Richard Ray

Reply to
Blah Blah

BTW, the compression ratio on the supercharged Ecotec in the Ion RL was only reduced from 10:1 to 9.5:1. I don't think they used forged pistons either..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Your are not raining on my parade. The car is already purchased (and it is not mine, but a friend's). Just looking for information out of curiosity more than need. Definitely not worth $25 (or even $5). Mostly just curious to see if all the recalls have been performed. My friend is going to go to the dealer to have this verified, but I thought someone with a Carfax subscription might give him a early heads up.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Hi, I agree. I would NOT trust carfax. My cars as well had "things" done that would never ever show up in carfax.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Dougherty

The only thing I could find was "pistons: high strength aluminum". What ever that means. Either way compresson has to come down from stock. The lower it is (to a point) the more air and fuel you can pack in with a charger. (4 bangers always been higher on compression to start with so

9.5 would make since)
Reply to
Blah Blah

professional

This is not at all uncommon on Usenet. People who by a 1-month will frequently run a few VIN's for others.

Ken

Reply to
Napalm Heart

Just wondering, but why did you do this as a reply to an unrelated posting, rather than as an OP with a fresh subject line?

Ken

Reply to
Napalm Heart

Just a screw up. I am not even sure how it ended up the way it did. I thought (i emphasize "thought") I did start it as a new thread.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

It's a new thread on Free Agent; no "Re:".

Bill Funk Change "g" to "a"

Reply to
Big Bill

Electric superchargers aren't capable of supplying a lot of boost (generally only 1-2 psi vs. 10-15 psi for belt driven) due to losses in converting mechanical energy to electrical energy and then back again.

And unless the car's alternator & battery are upgraded significantly, plan on replacing them both frequently. An electric motor capable of boosting intake manifold pressure to positive levels at high rpm draws a lot of current the stock alternator can't supply.

Alan King

Reply to
Alan King