Phantom Rattling

I have a 1997 Saturn SC1 that I keep well maintained, have upgraded the wheels, tires, and stereo. It's had all the regular service, if not extra, and oil even still comes out "clean" according to the dealer. So far not experiencing the dreaded oil consumption. (I have two additional saturns in which one does the oil thing, and the other is just thinking about it.)

Now enough history lessons. I have a phantom rattle that comes and goes from the right front side. If it were a 1965 Chrysler, I'd say I had a loose connecting rod somewhere. That is what the sound is simular to. I've checked for something loose, The dealer has checked for anything that could make the noise (Including the infamous EVAP container), and even a independent shop that specialized with Saturns. The independent guy did find a couple of wheel well plastic grommets missing that he replaced that hold the splash guard on, but that was it. It primarly rattles when you

1st start driving, and are on a a slightly bumpy road. As soon as you are on the freeway....poof! It's gone. When you come back off the free way...still no rattle. All the mechanics that have taken a look assure me it is not steering, engine mount (replaced), or suspension related....and may be just one of the rattles that a Saturn gets, annoying but harmless.

Any additional opinions what might be causing this sound? The pro's all say the car is fine mechanically.. Thanks!

Reply to
-=Natserima=-

FWIW, I had a similar wierd 'phantom' rattle coming from the navigator's door that drove me nuts for months ('98 SL2) and I recently found what was causing it.... the knob at the end of the window crank (whats the official name for those anyway?) was loose and would rattle when i was on any type of bumpy road, or sometimes just cause of the position of the crank itself. Of course if you have power windows then this isnt the case :)

HTH

Wurm

Reply to
Wurm

Hmmmmm...I'll have to check that out. No power windows here. It would have to be the crank though, as the rattle sounds a little heavy in it's sound. I'll be checking under the dash next to see if I can see a loose A/C fan, etc. Thanks!

Reply to
-=Natserima=-

no problem, another thing to check which also rattled for me (well ok, after my accident.....) was one of the glove box supports was also a bit loose..... although im sure it wasnt perfect either before the accident. Other loose things ive found in my saturn which can rattle are also the screws which hold the .... umm.... handles above the windows that passengers can hold on to (what the hell are those called?!).... there is a single very cheap screw holding each side in and after 2.5 years with my car ive had 4 fall out already.

Reply to
Wurm