Problem with Saturn Factory Radio

I have a 1991 Saturn with the original factory radio. The only modification made was to add a trunk-type cd changer.

The problem with the radio is that I am losing my right channel (both front and rear). It works fine when I first start the car but then I hear a "pop" from the right speakers and the sound disappears (when I turn the balance all the way to the right I hear a slight sound). Occasionally I hear another "pop" while I'm driving but the sound does not return. I suspect I'm also losing quality on the left channels...but since I'm closer to those speakers I can't say for sure.

I did have a new alternator installed in November. Do you think there is a loose wire (between the radio and the alternator) or is the radio giving out after all this time? (or something else)

Thank you for any suggestions you may have.

Reply to
mike-rophone

Any difference if you pull the plug from the CD changer? If the radio itself was not modified to add the changer and it was just an add-on, disconnecting the cd changer would be the first step. If the radio was opened up and internally modified, that would likely be the problem area. Car radios used to be fixable. That was back when there was a good amount of air inside them. Recent radios have so much stuffed into them, they are for the most part unserviceable. They often are less expensive to replace than to fix.

Is it just a problem with the radio or with the CD also?

Don't think that an alternator is a likely culprit. More than likely if there was a problem with the alternator (regulator) that would damage the radio, it would take out any number of other electronics first.

Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

The only modification that the installer made was to solder the cd changer connection to the antenna hookup. This was done when I purchased the changer in November 2000. The problem occurs while using the CD, radio or cassette. (unplugging the changer (I did unplug the changer and it made no difference)).

Thanks for any other suggestions you may have.

Reply to
mike-rophone

Unless there is a common ground to both front and rear speakers on the defective side (unlikely since most radios use two live wires to each speaker. Speaker is electrically floating above ground). You can check the harness for open grounds or shorts but sounds like it's time for a new radio.

I had a radio many years back that had a common speaker ground for all 4 speakers. That ground came loose on the radio side. All 4 speakers were still connected to each other. Result though was that I got nothing on a monoural source since what came out of the speakers was left channel minus right channel. On stereo was another matter. What came out was L-R so any audio common to both channels was removed (Vocals in the music) and just heard the instrumentals and backgrounds. Was sort of like Karaoke. Didn't fix it for a few weeks until the novelty wore off (and my wife said I was driving her crazy).

Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

My 98SL2 ... the radio is hard to hear ... I have good hearing ... what should I do?

Reply to
ProfWdesk1

If increasing the volume of the radio doesn't help, then maybe look into better speakers. My 97 is loud so my radio is mostly background music, and occasionally NPR with the windows up and I'm on surface streets (slower speeds).

I think a new Lexus would fix this problem, just can't remember where I put my checkbook! (grin)

Reply to
Jonnie Santos