Question on the Ion 3

Hello - I hope someone here can help me.

My husband is considering trading in his SC2 for an Ion 3 Quad Coupe, automatic trans.

He told the dealer he would want the performance package, with the 2.4L engine, etc., but the dealer seems to be trying to talk him out of it, and is giving him a dozen reasons why he shouldn't take the performance package (more money, only 2.4L as opposed to the standard 2.2L, etc.).

The dealer also told him that the engine with the performance package takes only premium gas.

1) Is this true about the premium gas, and 2) why would the dealer be trying to talk him out of this package?

Thank you,

Jill

Reply to
J. Meier

(1) It's not true. The 2.4L engine, like every other engine in every Saturn car sold, wants 87 octane. You've never had to put premium in any Saturn, and you never will.

(2) Because his boss told him to, probably. Maybe they have a lot of ION 2.2's in stock and want to get rid of them.

My personal feeling is the 2.4 feels better to drive, especially at speed. I don't notice a whole heck of a lot of difference off the line, but passing on the highway in the 2.4 is much better than the

2.2, and it feels better going up and down hills, too.

I have noticed that the 2.4L is a little noisier though, but heck, that's what the radio is for :).

Reply to
markwalt

Since this vehicle will have the performance package it will probably require premium fuel. You should look in the glovebox of this vehicle and see what the fuel delivery requirements are. Why a car salesman would try to talk someone out of buying a car is very unusual. I would say talk to a different car salesman. As far as fuel mileage and cost I would say that you would not use much more fuel because both are four cylinders. This is true as long as you or your husband do not have lead feet. This 2.4 litre will use a little more fuel, but I am sure that you really won't notice it. It will probably only a few miles to the gallon. Again I would say to look in the owner's manual that is in the glovebox and see what it get for m/p/g. There is also paper's on the windows of new cars that will usually tell you this information on fuel used for m/p/g. I hope this answered your question and if not e-mail me back to ask me whatever questions you might having, or your concerns. Sincerely, Robert Pearson

Reply to
rhpearsonII

Uhhh the 2.0L Ecotec is SuperCharged and does take higher octane gas so the 87 only doesnt apply to Saturn across the board. Are we sure that this isnt the engine that was being discussed?

Reply to
blah blah

wrong, wrong, wrong. Personally, I would dis that salesman and if possible, find another Saturn dealership.

First of all the 2.4L is only a larger displacement engine and has only a handful of performance enhancements of which do NOT include anything that require premium gas, only 87 octane (reg).

What markwalt said in #2, is most likely true, as the 2.4 is difficult to get for many dealerships, Saturn dindt make as many as the regular 2.2L.

(oh and by the way, you can also get a 2.4L sedan ION.3 too if you want)

Saturn does charge more for the 2.4, so the dealer was telling you right. There is a slight noticeable improvement over the 2.2L, larger exhaust diameter, external oil cooler, ION.3 has a better suspension too. A few test drivers have also reported increased performance after the engine breaks in, but dont expect performance like the Redline, its no redline. Just FYI, there are many high performanc eadd-ons available for the 2.2L out there and they are affordable!

The premium gas comment bends my ear, I would find yourself a salesman that actually knows his products.

marx404 (you know where I work, and what I eat, sleep and breathe)

Reply to
marx404

oops almost forgot... the 2.4 is a VVT (variable valve timing) vs the 2.4 is a regular inline 4. both are good.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

I test drove a 2.2 Ion sedan about 2 weeks ago, but ended up buying the

2.4 sedan. The 2.4 package is well worth the extra money - not just for the extra power, but also the steering and handling is much improved over the 2.2.

The 2.4 is rated at 1mpg less than the 2.2, and they both use regular unleaded.

GM/Saturn appears to be "pushing" the Ion-2 - note that GMAC offers

0.0% financing on the Ion-2 for up to 4 years, while the Ion-3 runs 1.90% for 3 years, and more for longer periods.

Your dealer is a liar and/or idiot

John Cowart

Reply to
bo peep

Ah, I forgot about the ION redline, you're probably right, I'll bet it does want higher than 87 octane. We don't sell too many of those :)

Reply to
markwalt