Re: 1997 Saturn Quiz

My suspicion is it is the crankshaft position sensor.

Saturn part number 21020140

It is a coil that is under then engine (next to the starter).

Being a coil, it is subject to intermittent failures.

It's relatively cheap - about $30 at the dealer and (if you're willing to get up under the car) an easy thing to replace (one 10 mm bolt).

I suspect that it ISN'T the fuel pump.

PS - Make sure that you don't remove the transaxle speed sensor instead (like I did).

If it were my car, I'd replace that sensor - cheap insurance. "J. Farnsworth Wallaby"

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

Saturn and bad sensors. Hmmm...

The coolant temperature sensors go because they're plastic and it doesn't hold up too well in the coolant. It leaks, which corrodes the electronic sensor itself which causes the failure.

Saturn, to their credit, has updated the sensor with a brass one. I don't think the brass ones will fail.

There are three coil sensors that I'm aware of on the 97 SL2/SC2 models. One is the crankshaft position sensor, one is the transaxle speed sensor, and one is the transaxle turbine speed sensor. All three of these are simply coils of wire around a magnetic core. The sensor is potted in some sort of plastic (or epoxy).

Unfortunately, some of these coils can, with time, become intermittent. I've seen it on the Saturns, I've had a coil go on my '89 Toyota Celica too.

But, I'd bet a plug nickle that Farnsworth's car will be fixed with a new crank postion sensor.

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

I highly, highly doubt Saturn has anything to do with the manufacturing of this sensor. That part # has gotta have other applications on other cars. Why would Saturn produce their own sensor or have one made when there are scores of other ones out there? I highly doubt Saturn itself had much to do with the updated sensor.

Don't forget about the intake air sensor(IAT) which is the same part# as the coolant temp sensor.

Reply to
BANDIT2941

I didn't forget about the IAT sensor.

Yes, it's the same part as the coolant temp sensor. But, it's a thermistor, not a coil.

I was enumerating the coil sensors.

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

In article , "J. Farnsworth Wallaby"

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

Good call, my bad......maybe I should read posts twice, LOL

Reply to
BANDIT2941

My Saturn acted exactly like what you described. If was so frustrating a problem to solve. Went for about 2 months acting like this until found problem. Returning to car I could never predicate when it would start or not. I started to park on hill so I could push to start if I had to, standard, it was the starter. A bad starter can draw on the battery making it seem like it is the battery. I went to Saturn dealer and several garages and they could not figure out problem. The last garage I asked to check started "actually" put a tester on car (attached to battery, to me I would have called it a roll out battery tester) and knew in a minute it was a bad starter. They could see the started drawing on the battery when started. Go figure why the dealer and other garages could not test for the starter when I asked. It was a quick and simple test and the mechanic knew within a couple of minutes I had a bad starter. Dealer experience:!! After a test drive the Dealer wanted the spark plugs and wires changed @ $170, Canadian and gas filter replaced @ $130, PVC valve and air filter before they said "would or could" check car any further. Then they told me if that didn't work I would have to replace my battery and probably have to change my air sensor $$$$. Where I bought my starter the place said it is common for starters and alternators going bad on Saturns, maybe they should tell the dealers! It pays to have a trusted good mechanic .... Good Luck "J. Farnsworth Wallaby"

Reply to
Magen