Re: Brake Work at Dealer cf. Midas and their Ilk

98 Saturn SL2 96K

> >Is there any advantage to having brake work done at the Saturn dealer, >compared with some place like Midas? I imagine these 3rd-party places use >aftermarket parts.

What makes you think that factory parts are the best? GM is relentless in cutting costs to increase their margins since they have to compete with foreign and transplant auto manufacturers and carry their significant retiree pension and medical benefit costs which adds to the cost of their products.

My comments come from the perspective of a 21 year employee of a defunct automotive interior trim manufacturer that couldn't manage with what the Big Three allowed us to make. Every UAW contract came at our, the suppliers, expense.

Midas might actually use better quality parts than the big three. Their mufflers are better for sure.

The vendor with the lowest price gets the contract.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

When I bought my used Saturn from a Saturn dealer, they claimed that they stocked only Saturns that they had a history on. Local cars, lease returns and that sort of thing. A history is good for dealers, auction off the bad ones, sell the good ones and not have service issues they have to cover.

Wes

Reply to
clutch