Re: Fuel Injector Cleaner? (SMS)

]6, 2008, 2:23pm From: ] snipped-for-privacy@geemail.com (SMS)

]There are still some people doing 3000 mile oil ] changes too.

Thanks for reminding me about that! For years and years Saturn Dealers swore by the 3000 mile oil change for Saturns even though the Manual said 7500. Now within the past two years the dealers have gone to 5000 mile oil changes. So I guess all of those years they were wrong about those 3000 mile oil changes. How do I get ny "Rebate" for 10 years of totaly unnessesary Oil Changes? LOL

Reply to
WGRG3

]6, 2008, 9:06pm From: ] snipped-for-privacy@geemail.com (SMS)

]Is there some specific problem that you're ] having with the engine that makes you believe ] that you need an additive? Chevron and all ] other name brand (and most no-name) ] gasolines already have detergent additives to ] prevent fuel system problems. It won't hurt ] anything to use these products, but they won't ] make your fuel system any cleaner than it is ] now. It's about as useful as those engine ] overhaul pellets that J.C. Whitney used to sell.

Well my gas mileage has been pretty eratic lately. One fill up I will get 23mpg city/highway, and the next I will get 19mpg city/highway, and the next 21mpg city/highway. And my dealer has been pushing me to get my fuel injectors cleaned. I think that is around $100 at my Saturn dealer. So if I can just put in a $6 bottle of Fuel Injector cleaner, and get the same results, why not do it? Or should I just spend the bucks at my dealer for the service?

Reply to
WGRG3

posted, cross-posted and reposted.....smells like a baited post here.

Reply to
marx404

Agreed. I had a fuel injected car in the early 1980's. It started running poorly and I found it had partially clogged injectors. I replaced 3 out of 4 due to a lack of funds.

A year later I got around to changing #4. I checked first and it was working fine. Around that time the local paper had an article on how gas was now higher detergent to work with fuel injection.

Was it better gas? Who knows. But the clog went away. I would expect gas to be better now, some 20+ years later.

Reply to
Jiggly

Exxon and Ford (I think) got into a dispute in the 80s about how much detergent there should be in gas as a bunch of Ford injectors were getting fouled at the time. After that I think the feds came up with a standard such that all gas in the US has a certain level of detergent and cars sold here have to work with that amount.

David

Reply to
DLR