Re: GM to UAW: Let's Cut Costs

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 15:31:58 -0400, a rock fell from the sky, hitting Jim Higgins on the head, and inspiring the following:

GM to UAW: Let's Cut Costs >
> GM to UAW: Let's Cut Costs > > > Automaker wants the union to accept nonunion janitors, work 10-hour > shifts without overtime pay, allow nonunion workers to replenish parts > bins and let nonunion truckers deliver and unload shipments. >

Ouch!

Even as a senior manager, I wouldn't want my worker bees to put up with that shit.

I figure if they're going to work ten hour days, then they get a 4/40. Otherwise, I would expect to be paying them OT.

I'm not so concerned about the janitorial thing. My company outsources janitorial service to a company that - you guessed it - specializes in janitors.

Non union truckers? Also, I don't see the benefit in that one. I'm not a big union fan, but I see truckers unions as being very important. Since they're often not together - on the road and whatnot - I see them being in a collective bargaining situation better for them and safer for us non- truck-driving people. I'd rather pay a bit more and have truckers who take appropriate breaks than ones who drive all night to get to the next job and will eventually smash my mid-size avalanche under those 18 wheels when they fall asleep on the I-10 at 80MPH.

Reply to
PerfectReign