Re: Sudden Wheel Lockup

Had something like that happen on a Subaru. Front wheel though... the whole disk brake assembly let go (bolt or something came loose) and it binded and locked the wheel. Happened in a parking lot. It was easily repaired and never happened again for as long as we had the car.

Its it is b> Very wierd thing happened this AM. I have a '96 Saturn SL1 with no > anti-lock brakes.

> I was pulling away from my house and suddenly my right rear wheel just > locked up. I was still moving but the tire was squaling like the brake > was fully applied. I tried backing up and going forward, etc. several > times and the problem continued. I applied the emergency brake and > took it off several times and pumped the brakes but nothing changed. > > I backed it up with the tire squealing and parked it. I took my wife's > car to work and I need to look at it this afternoon when I get home. > > I have never experienced anything like this before. I'm glad it didn't > happen at speed. Anyone seen anything like this? I'm hoping I can get > things apart to look at it this afternoon. > > Thanks, > > Bob
Reply to
Wesley Thiessen

[snip]

You will probably find your emergency brake cable has seized or bound up. Happens to many different cars and trucks. I had a 1986 Chevy 4x4 that would develop rust in the left rear emergency brake cable.

If this isn't the case, then it could be a kinked brake line. The brake system will eventually bleed off, so if you go home tonight and the problem has cured itself, look at the steel brake lines and look for a small dent, then look at the rubber lines and look for a kink!

These would be my first and second guesses!

Good Luck! Jim Smith

Reply to
Jim Smith

Did you run thru some water before parking? I had a car with rear drum brakes that would "rust" to the drum if I drove thru water and then set the parking brake. 1st time it happened, I moved the car about 3 feet and it broke loose and was ok. 2nd time, had to jack the car up, take the wheel off and bang the hub with a tire iron once to shock it free.

I learned to "dry" the brakes by gently apply> >

Reply to
Mike