Rear Brakes - How to retract piston?

I have a '98 SL2-A. Removing the old REAR DISC brake pads was easy enough. But after putting new pads in, I could not retract the brake piston far enough to allow me to re-install the caliper. Perhaps the emergency brake mechanism prevents me from pushing back the piston.

Can anyone tell me how to do this? Thanks.

Reply to
Don

Well, after reading the other posts here I may have not done it in a good way but I used a huge C clamp I had sitting around. That was a couple years ago and everything is still working fine though. That was on a 98 SL2 as well with full disc brakes.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Paluda

That is fine for the "front" caliper, but from what I have read the rear caliper needs to be twisted as it is pushed back in place just like Lane explained. At least nothing was damaged as not to work.

Reply to
Mike

Uh, woops, guess I better remember the twist thing next time then.

Reply to
Charles Paluda