Reliability of a high mileage 1998 Saturn? Any good? Should I buy?

Hi all,

I've been looking for a reliable low cost 2nd car... I had mainly been looking at early-mid 90's Honda's & Toyota's since that put me in the range of money I wanted to spend and they have a reputation for running to high miles.

Recently though, I came across a 1998 Saturn SL2 for a good price... it has 107k miles - it's the automatic sedan with traction contol.

How many miles could one expect this to run relatively trouble free for? I know no one can say for sure, but I'm just looking to see if generally they become money pits at high miles, or if they can be counted on to keep on ticking with little more than regular oil changes, etc.

Thanks!

Reply to
xnews user

In article , xnews user wrote: (snip)

I don't know, but for what little it's worth, we bought our 1998 Saturn SW2 stick-shift wagon at 74k. It's certainly into the 80's now and our regular garage tell us that it's in good shape.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Carroll

we have a 94 SL2, automatic with traction control....my son is still driving it with 165K and loves it. Recently had to put some tie rod ends in it but other than that, change the oil every 3K and replace tires/muffler/brakes as needed.

Reply to
autotechgirl

That's almost a spitting image of what's in our garage now. I have seen no indication that it's going to die any time soon. I expect another

50-100k miles out of it.
Reply to
Ratbert

My 95 SL2 has 108K, just had a tune up and runs great. It's a manual, so I can't vouch for the tranny. I'm thinking it best get it in to have the timing belt changed, since it is original

If it has a sunroof, don't forget to clean out the drain lines. A baby aspirator and hot water with a little soap works for me.

Reply to
peeledngrated

We have owned a 1996 SL1 for just over 2 years. It's been driven by my son who has put about 25K miles or so on it in that time period. I did everything to it with regard to preventive maintenance I could when we got it (tune up, plugs, wires, oil, filter, trans filter, fluid, air filter, gas filter, PCV, cleaned the throttle body, replaced front & rear brakes, etc.

Since then, we have replaced the EGR valve, a muffler, the 4 tires, and added a can of Freon for the AC. There have been no other expenses at all other than fuel and insurance. It still runs great today and has been a very reliable and cost efficient vehicle.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

High mileage......107,000 miles.....?????

It amazes me how most consumers are still stuck in the pre-1985 mentality that cars are high mileage at 100,000 miles.

I go to auto auctions regularly. ( I hold a dealers license, more as a hobby than a business.) Anyhow, I see true high mileage Saturns ie 180,000 miles plus go through that I'd drive anywhere. I saw a '93 yesterday with 245,000 miles.

In fact, when I see consumers and dealers paying what I consider ridiculous prices for high mileage toyotas and hondas (triple what a comparable saturn can be bought for) I'm considering buying and selling nothing but saturns and selling them exclusively. Reasoning, I can buy an historically reliable car cheap, add a reasonable profit and still sell it cheap. After all, the people who need a reliable car the most are the ones who can afford it the least.

Same is, was true for the Chevy Nova / Geo Prizm. Same car as the toyota corolla but if I saw two comparable go through the auction the toyota sells for $1,500 more....???

Last but not least........Changing your oil every 3,000 miles....??? Your being manipulated by the "oil change industry" and pre-1985 supposition of cars and lubricants. Read your owners manual. 6,000 miles between oil changes is fine.

I don't expect to sell anybody here a car :-) but if your curious here's my website:

Jimbo Jones

You dont have a timing belt.

Reply to
blah blah

Timing chain?

I'm looking at the picture in a Haynes book

Reply to
john c

Yes, it has a chain.

Reply to
Bob Shuman

My '02 SC2 just turned 225,000!!! I bought it new in July '02 with every available option except AT. I use it as a courier vehicle for the mileage (38-40mpg hwy). The only serious expenses I've had has been several sets of tires, ONE change of brakes, one water pump (two weeks ago), one battery (warranteed less than 20k), two fenders from various deer and old people drivers, two sets of front bearings, and one PS steering knuckle assembly from sliding into a curb in the winter. I love my Saturn, and highly recommend them.

Reply to
Ash

Valve body at 75,000 k cylinder head gasket 126,000 k rear sway bar link ($100 each) 110,000k

2muffler + brake + battery

Denis "Bob Shuman" a écrit dans le message de news:dd2emk$ snipped-for-privacy@netnews.net.lucent.com...

Reply to
D. Gignac

Put it to you this way...

my 92 SL1 has been running virtually trouble free for the past 14 years (I bought it in 91). I've been putting in Castrol Syntec since the car had 60k miles on it, and change it every 6k miles( about 4-5 months). I put in 4 quarts and drain 2.5 I never ever check the dipstick or add oil in between oil changes.

Majority of the car is still original parts. This includes the exhaust system (right up to the muffler) and the clutch. During its lifetime, the car has only been towed once. That was last year when I was on a business trip and the alternator failed (after 13 years).

Couple of weeks ago I checked the compression and recorded low 180's in each cylinder.

The car has been passing every emission check so far (yes, on the original cat).

The car now has 451,000 km on the odometer (290,000 miles) and my goal is to get it up to and past 500,000 kms (310,000 miles). If all goes well, this should occur in June 2007.

Would I sell the car? Hell no.... three reasons:

- excellent gas mileage, even after 14 years I'm getting 41 miles to the gallon.

- virtually maintenance free. The car has been paid off eons ago and it owes me absolutely nothing.

- I would get peanuts for it so why get rid of it while it works great?

Just my two cents.

Alex

Reply to
navaidstech

See my comments below. Otherwise, I agree with your basic sentiment on this being a good and very economical vehicle. You clearly use high quality oil and I presume a good quality filter as well (although you do not say), and most likely do other regular PM as well, so why do you not check your oil between oil changes? Seems to me that you are only shortening the life of the engine (maybe it would go 1M miles?) and risking junking it due to a very expensive major mechanical problem for something that would take you less than 5 minutes and cost $2-3 every 4-5 months.

Bob

This means that you are running on just 2.5 quarts in a system designed to hold 4 quarts so you are 1.5 quarts (37.5%) low!

Why? Seems you should be adding a quart by the time you reach 3K miles.

This is good. Why don't you keep the crankcase full so it will stay that way?

Good luck. You have received excellent service form the vehicle and I hope this continues for you. As it is now much older and is burning or leaking oil, it is all the more imperative that you check the oil level and make sure it stays at or near the full mark.

Reply to
Bob Shuman

If they offered me a big bag of peanuts for my 94 SL1 I might take it. OTOH , having just shelled out $515 for a new starter I'm considering 2 new tires so I can keep enjoying 40 mpg (@ 60 mph without AC-ymmv). ron

Reply to
Ron Herfurth

Bob... your points are very valid and I appreciate you trying to get this in my head. The reason I never check the dipstick is... force of habit ( force of bad habit, I should say). I got so used to this car being so reliable that I simply don't do it. There are no oil leaks on my driveway at all so all my gaskets are probably fine... with 180+ PSI in each cylinder I don't think the car is burning that much - although I might be wrong. One thing I want to replace are the valve guide seals. I'm hoping this will drastically reduce the oil consumption. I plan to do this right at the next oil change, which should be next month or so.

Thanks again. Alex

Reply to
navaidstech

$515????

I'm assuming this includes labor costs as well.

With my car being so old I rarely bother with brand new parts anymore, unless it's something critical. The alternator that died on me was pulled from a junker. Brand new it would cost me a pretty penny but I paid $40 for an older one. Real pain in the rear was trying to take the old one out and putting this one it.... the alternator isn't very easy to get at.

Alex

Reply to
navaidstech

It included parts, labor, and 6 days of "storage" - I had it towed in on a Friday morning and got it back the following Wednesday evening. ron

Reply to
Ron Herfurth

Hence the reason why I prefer work on the car myself. Mechanics sure like to milk it.

Reply to
navaidstech

While we are on the subject, just what is a GOOD brand of oil filter for this Saturn ??

--James--

Reply to
James