Removing outside door handle to fix power window

My daughter's boyfriend has a 1996 Saturn SL2. His driver's side power window died, in the fully down position. He got a Haynes manual, but it doesn't help on exactly how to remove the outside door handle, so he can complete the removal of the outside door panel, so he can fix the window.

The handle pivots up, and is attached to two curved black plastic arms that rotate out and up. The book says to press on some button, but we've pressed mightily on the little black dots that appear to the releasing mechanism, to no avail.

Any clues? Any guidance? It would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
Rick K

The very small black dots - maybe 3 mm in size - can be seen on the underside of the door handles when lifted up. Those need to be pressed upward (if I recall correctly) and they will slide about a quarter inch until they come out the other side. Don't lose them though. The handle should then come off when moved to the side.

Lane [ l a n e @ p a i r . c o m ] "Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers."

Reply to
Lane

Thanks, Lane, for the response. Thru some technique and a lot of brute force, we managed to get the handle off, remove the outside door panel, and eventually get the window to go up and close. Better than having a perpetually open window ...

Now, to diagnose the problem (window goes down without too much trouble apparently, but extemely reluctant to go back up). No binding evident. Manual says to "lube stuff". Ha. What? Where?

Kind of reminds me off college calculus texts. "For repairing of spark plugs, open hood, disconnect negative battery cable, then simply remove engine along with transaxle. Press on tab B to disconnect pistons, find problem and fix. Replace engine, and other parts in reverse order."

Also reminds me why I hate power windows. Complexity is not always a good thing. Kinda hard to farkulate manual crank windows, and I've never had to "replace the window regulator" (my arm).

Again, thanks for the help.

Reply to
Rick K

The outer door handle is held on by a small black pushpin and slides easily forward off of the pivots.

"To "lube stuff"." You should get a spray bottle with a liquid soap and water mixture and spray the rubber tracks/seals with this mixture and see if it is dragging somewhere.

If you have to work on the inside it may be easier to remove the outer panel. You only have 3 mirror nuts and 6-8 outer panel screws. Hope this helps.

Greg

Greg