Replacement Saturn Engine

I have a 96 SL2 with 247000 miles.. I was wondering what engine I could drop in to replace my engine if or when it dies.. The car itself is in really good shape.. Cheaper to drop in a new engine and tranny then to buy a new one.. But instead of the same type of engine and tranny.. I was wondering if it would be possible to drop in a better engine or maybe a V6 from a newer ION...

Just wondering,

Ben

Reply to
Ben

You probably should describe what you mean by better engine. Higher mpg, better longevity (247k is damn good, don't know how you'd improve upon that), more aftermarket support, more power/torque, etc.

If you want to continue to use the term "drop in" and mean it, better stick to an exact replacement for year and model. A switch to anything else would be a nice project, but most wouldn't be prepared for the time, cost, amount of fabrication, and how long the car is actually out of commission while you're working on a more elaborate swap.

If you're mainly looking for a bump in power, you can fabricate a turbo setup for the 1.9 Saturn motor for probably less time and $$ than it would be to fit in a motor trans combo from some other car. The guys who post on the forums at

have done some amazing things withSaturn motors.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane

Different engine may need a different computer, sensors, wiring, bla, bla,bla. Replace with the the same type.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

Looks like you have already gotten pretty good life from your current engine. Rebuilding is an option if you have had no major issues with your engine. You can buy a crate 1.9 online if you look around; some have bought from 6th Planet Used Auto Parts, they also sell crate engines and can build to your specs. Turbosaturns.net is an excellent resource (look what Ian has done!). SaturnMotorsports.com or SPS

is a great place to buy stuff too. Oh, the engine in the ION is only a 2.2 4cyl, there is no 6 in an ION. Only the VUE and now demised L300 has a V6 and they wont fit.

The running joke between me and my shop mechs is "while your at it, throw in an ecotec swap in my SC2!", lol.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

Ok.. Thanks for the info.. Just wondering what my options would be.. The current engine is strong and runs great.. But when the day does come.. I think I will just drop another 1.9L DOHC and hope it lasts as long as this engine does..

Ben

Reply to
Ben

Excellent mileage consider that this engine is notorious for head crack under cam journal.

Reply to
Paul

Reply to
Blah Blah