Roof Rack for 2003 Vue

Can this be installed by the end user? My local dealer wants about $350 total to install a $150 part. Not sure I understand the issue... I've read a few items on the newsgroup but I don't see how this can be that difficult. What exactly is the process and how long is this going to take if I do it myself? Any special tools I will need, and any other advice...

Thanks all!

Reply to
Doug Lumpkin

Kevin Miller

I installed the roof rack myself but in the process stripped the head of one of the torx screws that needed to be removed. These torx screws (T25, if I remember correctly) are set in the roof with Locktite and do not come out easily. Once the head is stripped, it can be a major project to get the screw out. If you are going to attempt it yourself, get the best quality torx bit you can find and get on a step ladder so you can work on it carefully. There are 10 screws that should be removed according to the instructions. You really only need to remove

4, if you are sure where you want the cross bars to be installed. That would lessen the chance of stripping them out. The dealer was good enough to remove the screw I stripped under warrantee. Thank goodness for Saturn's great customer service.
Reply to
Ed Szymanski

Ha! Was quite able to do this myself.

for $130 and it came with clear instructionsand everything I needed to get the project done (minus basic tools and aTorx bit). Also at a very slow cautious pace I was able to complete the install in under 45 minutes, so I still can't figure out how the dealer can charge $200 in labor. Assuming they can do it a bit faster than I can, that works out to about $400 an hour. Them there is lawyer prices...

No problem with getting the screws removed at all either, just used a drill with a torx bit, and a ladder to get a good angle on it.

Thanks all for the encouragement to do it myself!

Reply to
Doug Lumpkin