Rough Idle, Easy to Overheat along with different SES codes 97 SC1

Please help!

6/01/05 I had a loud screeching while driving to work, so I pulled into the dealer. Front pads are worn to sensor and need to be replaced along with the rotors. They noted rear wheel cylinders were leaking (I made them show me) and to replace. I also asked them to put a new battery into my key fob in which they told me they couldn't and had to replace with a new one ($54). I held off on the rotors/calipers. 6/02/05 - Returned because I was worried and had them replace rotors in front and rear calipers - $300 with 'free' rotors since they shouldnt be wearing so soon (14K). 6/07/05 - I notice all of a sudden that the car shakes badly especially around 60MPH. They balance and say it is fine. It is NOT fine, so I bring back 6/10/05 - they say they are unable to duplicate. I also told them I had the SES light go on a few months back but it went off when I replaced gas cap, but now it is back on and off sporadically and that the car has trouble starting every other day or so on the first try. The car codes found were: P0171, P0300, P0341 and P0656. Replaced fuel pump ($460) and cleared codes. Told them that car has had rough idle pas few months, so they did a tune-up ($160 - I didn't realize I had had one a year before). They say codes are cleared. 6/13/05 - Told them I still have shaking when driving especially around 60mph and that it did not happen before the rotors were changed on 6/2/05. They told me there were four flat spots and possible right front wheel is bent. Free oil change thrown in per my request. They also replaced the rotors with another pair when they duplicated vibration. 6/30/05 - SES light on AGAIN!!!!! Some of the same codes as before came up - P0300 and P0341 - I'm told I have to replace the ignition module per Dave the mechanic and Eddy the Service Assistant and that that should take care of the rough idle!! $300+ later and it still has a rough idle and I also noticed when accelerating, the car is rough as if it were a congested person, jerky in a way, lurches..... I also told them car goes into overheat range VERY easily and this concerns me as it never used to do that before. They checked temp sensor and temp gauge and for any leaks - all good. Also told them I'm hearing a squeaking and they can't replicate.

7/02/05 - Oh yes, I went out and got FOUR NEW TIRES due to Saturn telling me the shaking is probably caused by the flat spots and after being told my Avis guys that they looked bad - another $300+!

The car still runs rough and when accelerating, still is rough and jerky and congested like. I even put premium gas in. I have paid roughly $2000 on this car in the last month!!!

Reply to
Weezay

No offense, but 97 was a BAD Saturn year(had a 96 Saturn and have a 97 Saturn, they were night and day with reliablity). They had to extend warrenties on compoents of the their cars, since they were flawed. I really hate saying this, but next time check ConsumerReports before purchasing your next car.

later,

tom @

The Real Tom

Believe me, I never wouldve gotten an American Car, but that someone I worked with was turning in the lease after 3 years with only 18K and in mint condition. My car was about to die, so I jumped at the opportunity, but I will research for sure next time I purchase!

Reply to
Weezay

Let me comfort you about something, whenever I do work on my car and pull a part out, it's stamped "Canada" so I think only final assemly of parts was in the US, and the Vin plate was made in the US. Everything else seems to be imported. So you don't have an American Car. ;)

Good luck with the problems, I've had an issue that I've been trying to chase down for 5 years in my saturn 97sl2. Intermitent rough starts, rough idles, and stalls. Especially during very hot, or very cold days. Get proficent at doing your own Coolant Temperature Changes. Even after doing one, it only reduces the number of problems, not the original one.

To Saturn's defense my 96SL2 Ran great. That car took to 100k miles like nothing. Good luck.

later,

tom @

The Real Tom

well my 97 sl2 is fantastic, has over 142K on it and runs great . The error codes your getting sound more like bad plug or plug wires.. probably wires. If wires weren't replaced I would start there. For $18 I would also definetly replace the coolant temp sensor or you can buy the $9 from napa and in any case replace it yourself. The codes you are getting are pointing to cyclinder number 4 BTW

Reply to
p_vouers