Running like new

Finally I got around to swapping my plugs out and switching to a better synthetic -> 7500 mile Mobile 1 (Cheaper than the standard stuff, oddly!) I also put a whole bottle of MMO in my tank when it was 1/4 full and gave her' hell down the road, and for the first time my Saturn actually ran like new and I could do a dry burnout.

Holy shit, AC Delco plugs own over trashy Bosch.

List of improvements in the past 3 months: New plugwires (Autolite Pros) New Plugs (ACDelco) Oil Change (x2) New battery Degreased my engine Switched to 89 Octane gasoline only Switched oil filters back to ACDelco New air filter (no need to mention this, since its a shit napa one that I had to wedge in there. Total crap)

Needed upgrades: New tires! I've never put new tires on this car, period. It has two tires that came with it, and two used but decent tires put on.

Switch to a better air intake.

Reply to
HyperCube33 (Life2Death)

A newer update. After driving it 14 hours this weekend (To Chicagoland and back from Eau Claire, WI) it still runs great. Perhaps now I can invest more money into more fun with my Saturn ;)

Reply to
HyperCube33 (Life2Death)

Why 89? Why not, say, 93 (or even higher, if you can find it)?

Reply to
Steve

Why waste more money? If the car was designed to run on 87 octane and has fixed engine timing, then what purpose other than wasting money is served? say this since I do not believe a 1997 Saturn SC engine can advance the timing. (The OP did not list the vehicle either, so another assumption on my part it is his '97.)

Note, I am not advocating using lower octane in vehicles designed to take advantage of higher octane fuels.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Really? Never payed attention... I just get Mobile 1. Depending on how much you drive in 6 months of regular mobile 1 would be fine for 7500 miles. Did you have any oil consumption and if so keep watch to see if there is a drop in consumption.

It has been stated from first hand accounts at saturnfans.com that this has hurt gas mileage and gives not benefit. If it does your engine may have carbon deposites. Comes down to fixing the symptom or fixing the problem.

Good filter but the best are purolater Pure 1's. When I can I get the longer filter than whats called for. More element, no difference in cost.

Reply to
BläBlä

Precisely why I asked. This has been discussed before here and there was some disagreement, so I wanted to see what made the OP go for 89.

Reply to
Steve

Alright, good response. What is the model of filter you suggest I use?

My car has heavy deposits. I just noticed I didnt get the website suggested oil (75,000 High milage or someshit) I got the 7500 long life oil. But, I must note that I have seen a drop in oil consumption to less than 1qrt per

400 miles (now using ACDELCO plugs - I am working on getting better ones ;)). from the hellishly high 1qrt every 200miles (with Bosch plugs as well)

Reply to
HyperCube33 (Life2Death)

As the earlier response noted, use Purolator Pure One (silver box). These are pretty much the best filters available. You can find them occasionally on sale and stock up. If you want to go with OEM equivalent, the Purolator regular filters (blue box) are pretty good as well.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman