S series fuel pump wiring

I was unable to start one of my S series cars after a period of non use. It acted like it was out of fuel and I suspected someone had siphoned the tank. I added fuel but still no start. After lengthy trouble shooting I discovered that the fuel pump wiring behind the left rear wheel was broken. I suspect it had been chewed by my dog when he thought there was a squirrel hiding under the car. Fairly simple repair but still a PITA.

I was recently driving a second S series car down the highway when it suddenly lost all power. I had just fueled up and at first suspected bad gas but after checking under the hood and giving it some thought, I turned on the key and listened but was unable to hear the sound of the fuel pump. I slid under the left rear and looked at the wiring and discovered a broken wire at the same location where my other car had been chewed. There was no indication of teeth marks but since my dog was handy in the car I gave him a smack on principal. I doubt it meant anything to him but it made me feel better. I then stripped the wire and twisted the ends together as I had no wiring material or tape with me, but the car started and ran just fine and got me to my destination and back with only a short delay.

If I had not had the previous failure I doubt that I would have discovered the wire failure and it probably would have resulted in a tow charge and a lengthy delay. I certainly would have missed a great day of powder skiing.

Reply to
Private