Sales policy

Did Saturn abandon their whole "no negotiation necessary" fixed sales price policy? I never hear about it any more.

Reply to
Steve Christianson

Nope. Just saw a commercial emphasizing it. Though my parents dealer also charged a $299 docs fee. The car they wanted L300 wagon will not be made any longer and is hard to find so they paid it. They did get a $3k rebate from Saturn though.

Reply to
Art

Reply to
foots

Yep, they discontinued the L series, your parents were lucky to find a remaining wagon, they were great wagons. Yep, there is that commercial "What's the catch" emphasizing the no hassle no haggle policy still in effect. We still are like that. The $299. standard dealers fee is standard nowadays at any dealership anywhere, be it Saturn or Ford or whatever. Gotta love those incentives, $3K back is kinda nice, huh? Finally they started giving incentives on the ION Redline now too.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

The problem with the fee is that the dealer adds it to the contract AFTER the deal is made. If they really need to charge this, it should be a line item in the invoice. I had to pay a "paperwork" fee of $185 that also included the inspection sticker. To me, these fees are a cost of doing business and shouldn't be added as an extra.

Reply to
Joe

It was $50 "documentation fee" for me in 2002...

Reply to
Jerry

I did not bitch about the $299 fee because of the incentive of $3k. I had some info that not all dealers were giving the incentive on the wagon and called Saturn and they seemed to be saying it was up to the dealer on the wagon.

Reply to
Art

Hmm, true that the dealer fee has gone up in the past 10 yrs, but what hasnt? Our dealerships are straight up front" about the dealer fee and dont hide it to add it later, we are quite honest about it, and actually let the customer see that in writing. I guess some dealerships do things differently. hmmm.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

I'm in Chicago. What's a "dealer fee?" I mean, I guess I know what it is, but how do they explain it?

Illinois put a limit on doc fees (I think it's $39 now.) Kind of like regulating the scam - kept the price down but added legitimacy. Oh, the law says you can negotiate it. Thanks.

Reply to
satyr

Reply to
Mike Broda

I wanted to buy a Mitsubishi Outlander back in February. However, the dealers wanted an additional $1200 for paint sealant, Scotchguard, and a tiny paint stripe. I went back to Saturn.

$299 for the docs fee is absurd. The fees here in Austin for the 3 Saturns I've bought were around $50 or $60. But if you're happy with the car and the other charges were in line, it was worth it.

Reply to
flatline

Reply to
Dave