Saturn 93 SL1 starting, not holding

My 93 Saturn currently is starting, and then going out with a loud cough. This morning while driving it, it sounded and felt like the engine was going in and out, winding up and down. It is also idling very high. The local Saturn dealership usually rips me pretty good. Before I have it towed there, any ideas on what it could be?

Reply to
Amy777

Mileage? Maintenance history? Any previous symptoms? (Did this start running rough a year ago, poorer fuel mileage, etc?)

Given your description of what is happening and the age, without knowing any more, I'd say it needs a good tune up and any required maintenance as the place to begin...

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Thanks Bob. The mileage is 91,955. No previous problems, except that it idles high at start up, then dies down in a few seconds to normal. At my last oil change they recommended a valve cover gasket. Did not have the funds at the time. Thanks for the imput. I'm just looking for a general idea so that I sound like somone they can't rip off for a thousand bucks when all I need is a plug or something.

Reply to
Amy777

Has it been viberating or missing, are the plugs good,wires,if this is true i would say fuel system ,fuel injetor problems likely , second may be Idle control or IAC ,third may be Throtle Position Sensor! Just guessing here !

Reply to
justastreekin

Thanks Justa! No virations..plugs and wires are good as far as I know. I was also thinking it might be fuel injector..given that upon start up it quits like it ran out of gas. The car stays on, but the engine sputters out. You may be on to something. Sounds expensive, but at least I have an idea now. Thanks much.

Reply to
Amy777

Lots of previous discussion on cleaning the throttle body and plate if you search the newsgroup archives. It could very easily be the problem and a simple cleaning of the Throttle and Air Intake Servo (AIS) could solve your problem. You still don't indicate when the plugs, plug wires, air filter, fuel filter, PCV were last replaced. Also, at that age there could be brittle or cracked vacuum hoses that if leaking would also cause the high idle.

lastly, there are a number of sensors and the EGR that also have a history of requiring maintenance, but before you do anything there, make sure the other items noted above are known good first.

Good luck!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Check the coolant temp sensor. It sends temp info to the computer that controls the amount of fuel the engine gets as it is warming up. Had mine fail, and the computer thought the engine was always hot, and did not enrich the fuel for the cold start up. Simple, cheap and easy to replace.

For simple diagnostics, if the car runs better and better as you manage to get the engine to warm up, this becomes a high suspect. Be careful not to replace the sensor for the temp gauge, they are different.

My symptoms were, almost would not start when cold outside. Would sort of catch every now and then. Once caught, just barley sputters, and required much open throttle to keep it running. Kept on stalling. Persisted with starting and as engine slowly got warmer, the engine slowly stared to run better. Eventually ran perfectly. Once cooled off, back to square one. Replaced coolant temp sensor - bingo, all better.

Mike

Reply to
Mike