Saturn - clutch situation

Thanks for the info Lane.

<mcben

Yeah, I realize that, but if this information was found out after the repair had been done and might've been done incorrectly, it'd be nice to know if the 40K estimate was anywhere in the neighborhood. I'm guessing that the Saturn tech read the TSB, then based the 40K estimate on his own experience with clutch/flywheel life.

brian

Reply to
Brian or Sharon Beuchaw

If a shop did the work, you might get some relief by getting a print out of that TSB and taking it back to them.

I would suggest getting *DETAILED* information from them, in writing, regarding what they did to the flywheel, and what part number they used for the clutch.

Then, and ONLY then should you mention the TSB to them...

Good Luck!

Of course, if you did the work yourself, you're screwed. :-(

replacement)

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

If a shop did the work, I would almost guarantee they used an old style clutch setup so no machining of the flywheel is necessary. If you did it yourself, I would almost guarantee the clutch setup you bought aftermarket for it was an old style that also didn't need machining.......

Reply to
BANDIT2941

Yeah, when the tech at the shop starts reading the TSB and looking at it for a long time, rather than glancing at it and saying "Yeah, we know about this, it's the whole 2nd generation clutch issue that happened when Saturn redesigned it, etc.", I'm not getting warm fuzzies....

brian

Reply to
Brian or Sharon Beuchaw

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

Naw, it's OK, you didn't open anything. I just thought I'd see if anybody had any actual, real-life experience with a mismatched clutch/flywheel and could say "I saw one of those and the clutch lasted xxx miles before it died due to not having a chamfer". But nobody seems to know any actual numbers, so I figure I'll just wait 'til it dies again and if it doesn't 'til after I get rid of it, that's even better.

brian

Reply to
Brian or Sharon Beuchaw

Yeah I haven't heard any numbers myself, I'm only aware of the issue. If it does wear out on you, let us know how many miles for future reference........

But, here's hoping that you don't have to worry about it. :)

Reply to
BANDIT2941

Will do. That way there'll be something for future Googlers. :-)

Yep, me too. Thanks.

brian

Reply to
Brian or Sharon Beuchaw