Saturn Coolant Supplement Pellets?

My 17-year old son has a 1996 SL1 that we drained, flushed, and re-filled with ethylene glycol (Peak brand) coolant earlier today in preparation for winter.

When checking out the owner's manual to determine the cooling system capacity (7 quarts for those who are interested), I read the following on page 281:

"When the engine coolant is changed for any reason, two engine coolant supplement pellets (Saturn P/N 21007224) should be added to the coolant reservoir."

I was surprised to read this since I have been flushing radiators every two years on multiple vehicles for 25+ years and never ever had to put in any type of supplemental additive. Can anyone shed some light on what is in the pellet and why it is needed for this engine cooling system? I am guessing possibly corrosion protection, but would appreciate more info form someone in the know. Thanks in advance for the info.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I may be mistaken but I believe these pelllets are a sludge preventor.. even though you may dran an fill your coolant as recommended as the engine gets older oils, dirt and other particles will get into the system.. These pellets may prevent the sludge from cloging the small lines leading to the radiator from the resovoir.

Reply to
Joe Biadasz

Reply to
Buster

I had read a long while back they prevented the waterpump from weeping - I'm not a tech and do not know.

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Here is the explanation from a Saturn mechanic from a post from five years ago:( snipped-for-privacy@exit109.com):

"The tablets you speak off are to lube the water pump and to seal any small leak that my come from the water pump. They have been used by GM for years and are an excellent product. Owners of some Saturns may notice a slight sludge in their coolant bottles right from day one, thats the residue of the tablets and is normal."

I know that my mechanic has a stash of these seal-tabs for use with Saturns and Cadillacs that need them.

Reply to
Steven Scharf

[...]

Jeeze...could you post that again...I didn't get to read it the first SIX TIMES!!!!

Reply to
Glomis

I wouldn't use them. They are actually ginger root used to seal any small leaks. They really sludge up the system. Just use palin old water pump lubricant if that's what you feel the pellets are for.

Reply to
TC

Thanks for the replies.

Went to the dealer and picked up the pellets (part number given was superceded by a new one and cost was $3.52 for two). Parts guy said they were to seal the system and were definitely a GOOD IDEA for our 1996 SL1 single cam engine. I crushed them and then dropped the powder into the reservoir.

I guess I kind of agree with TC below and do not understand why anything extra should be needed to seal the system and believe that whatever gets added will only hasten the demise of the radiator and cause blockage.

But, in the end I figured replacing a radiator is easier then replacing the head gasket...so put them in as the owner's manual stated.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I believe that some of these things are actually made from walnut shells.. GM puts them in a lot of cars at the factory to prevent small leaks/weeping around hose fittings and such. They are meant to seal only very small leaks, they're not like the "stop leak" stuff you usually see at auto parts stores, which apparently does tend to clog things up sometimes.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

When I was young, we used black pepper as a quick, cheap, and available stop leak. Seemed to work as well as most.

Ken

leaks/weeping

small leaks,

whatever gets

blockage.

replacing

Reply to
Napalm Heart

...and the turbomachinery company I work for used to use a walnut shell concoction to clean turbine engines. I remember having to stock it by the pallet load in the warehouse years ago...

leaks/weeping

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

You shouldn't have used Peak... it has phosphates in it (check your label to be sure). Saturn forbids phosphates, though I don't know why.

Reply to
Jeff McDonald

Interesting that the Peak bottle clearly states that it is Ethylene Glycol since this is the first ingredient listed. But, as you have pointed out, it also lists Dipotassium Phosphate (7758-11-4), water (7732-18-5), and "corrosion inhibitors, silicates, defoamer, and dyes."

I had assumed from the owner's manual that it would be either Ethylene Glycol based OR Phosphate based and that they were referring to the newer longer lasting formulations. Anyone familiar with this requirement? Again, this is our first Saturn and I would like to follow the manual. What is the harm in using Peak? Anyone else made this mistake and have a tale to tell? What antifreeze should be used (other than what is available from the dealer?)

Thanks for additional responses.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

First you need to be sure that the coolant you use is PHOSPHATE FREE. Then be sure to add the conditioner tablets once a year. They do NOT cause sludge. I change my coolant every 2 years and my coolant system is as clean as the day the car was new.

The information I read claims the tablets condition the coolant that non-phosphate coolant lacks. It clearly is NOT a stop leak product.

Also I read that eventually, all coolants will be phosphate free thanks to the EPA.

James1549

Reply to
James1549

Saturn uses Dexcool instead of conventional antifreeze. The base ingredient is the same but the anti-corrosion chemistry is different. It is a bad idea to mix the two.

Ed

Bob Shuman wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White