Saturn Ion Tires

They suck ass in the snow,why a wide tread tire?.

Reply to
sturg57

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks they suck..

Reply to
GCC

Me three. I've been driving my Ion (non-traction control, non-ABS)[1] in the snow the last couple of weeks and I'm astonished at how badly it handles. I've driven early-model Datsun "Z" cars in the snow. I learned to drive on V8, front engine, rear drive American land barges and they handle better than this.

On top of it, the five-speed automatic is useless in snow. I'd love to see a "winter mode" on it that starts you off in second gear, as starting off in first almost guarantees wheelspin. I'd also love to see the ability to lock the transmission in a gear

*other* than first. F'rex, the "2" position on most traditional automatics limits you to first and second gears, which helps with engine braking while not limiting your speed too much. [1]This is a car I inherited from my mom when she passed away. I guess she considered those features "optional" because she wasn't going to drive the car in snow. At her age, all trips were optional--supermarket trips could wait a couple of days till the roads were plowed and salted and sanded. :-/ If I had been ordering the car for myself, I might have gotten those features. I would also have gotten a manual rather than an automatic.
Reply to
Biker Geek

Ha. Suck ass is RIGHT!!!

Get this: (ION3) I survived last winter (barely) but this one, now that they're worn down another 1/32" or so... COMPLETELY USELESS. I took it to a garage to get snows on (aka "man-eaters" judging from the size of the tread) but they had to get 2 other mechanics to push the car into the garage - there was a 6" slope into the bay and the stock tires wouldn't grip enough to even bring it into the bay!! They even got a bit of a run at it - no dice. Might as well have been chained to the light post behind it - no way was it going to drive in there on its own.

So... that means the stock tires have LESS TRACTION than your average steel-toed Kodiaks.... how's that for pathetic.

:(( Damn you, GM you cheap bastiges!!

-e

Reply to
NoSetFine