Saturn Ion won't start, passlock light on

I have a 2005 Ion-2, standard transmission. Yesterday I put the key in, stepped on the clutch and turned the key. Engine would not turn over. The passlock light lit when key turned to 'on' and stayed lit.

After a few tries and some contemplation I stepped on the brake and the clutch. The car started. After that it was OK.

Any ideas? There are some threads on a chronic Passlock problem, how can I tell if that's it?

Thanks!

Reply to
Saturn Guy

I had a similar problem: occasionally wouldn't start with lit Passlock light ... let it sit for a while & eventually it started. Took it to the dealer, who diagnosed & replaced a bad ignition switch. Problem hasn't recurred.

For what it's worth ...

Bill Davis

Reply to
Bill Davis

That's it. Took it to the dealer and it was a bad ignition switch. For $235 + tax they installed a new and improved version.

Reply to
Saturn Guy