saturn oil loss problem - someone's suggestion seems to work

Was, awhile back, rousing in saturnfans.com forum where I saw and have tried a posted suggestion by 'wolfman' that seems to really have greatly improved my Saturn's oil loss problem. I was losing 1 qt. every 400 to 500 miles on my '93 DOHC Saturn that has 86k miles on it. Well I tried his procedure with Marvel Mystery Oil(MMO) and I am now losing only a tiny fraction of a quart after 500 miles. I am freak'n AMAZED! I thought the worst and that I'd need minimum of a ring job, or worse, possibly an engine change.

Oh, I did leave the MMO(oil) in the cylinders for 24 hours instead of 'overnight' as he suggested. I also did not put any of it into the gas tank. Thank you WOLFMAN!!!

Reply to
user

Glad it worked for you. I used to use rislone and on occasion the MMO on some of my older vehicles with good results.

My son got an ancient Olds when he was just starting to drive. Thing burnt oil to the point where it left a smoke screen as he drove. Figuring that he had nothing to loose (and no money to buy commercial cleaners), he drained the oil and filled it up again with the white kerosene that I use for the space heater. Started it up and let it run for about 10 minutes, drain and refill with fresh oil. I don't recommend this but it cleaned up the engine enough that it ran *much* cleaner and smoother.

I have also seen products advertised by Kano Labs

that are supposed to clean out engines nicely. I have a gallon of their 'Kroil' which is the best penetrating fluid I have ever used. Haven't broken a single bolt since I started using the stuff.

Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

Is there a site or archive that has this cylinder soak method of stopping some of the oil consumption listed step by step? I'm about to try it...

Joe - V#8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com Ask me about "The Ride" on July 31, '04:

I'm not a total idiot... I am after all, missing parts.

Reply to
Joe Dufu

Engine - Excessive Oil Consumption

BULLETIN NO.: 94-T-59A

ISSUE DATE: February, 2003

CATEGORY TYPE: Engine-16

CATEGORY: General

CORPORATION NO.: 03-06-01-001R

SUBJECT: Oil Consumption Concern (Diagnosis/Service Procedure)

Due to the addition of a new internal engine cleaning procedure, this bulletin has been revised and supersedes bulletin 94-T-59, which should be discarded.

MODELS AFFECTED:

All 1991 - 1997 Saturn S-Series Vehicles

CONDITION:

Some customers may comment that the engine is using 1 quart (0.951 liter) or more of oil every 3000 mi. (4827 km).

CAUSE:

Engine oil consumption greater than 1 quart (0.951 liter) in 3000 mi. (4827 km) may be caused by stuck/sticking oil control and/or compression rings. Engine deposits may build up on and around the oil control ring(s), compression ring(s) and piston ring land(s) causing the ring(s) to stick and become less effective.

CORRECTION:

Perform internal engine cleaning procedure or engine repair procedure depending on amount of oil consumption.

IF engine uses 1 quart (0.951 liter) of oil in:

1500 mi. - 3000 mi. (2414 km - 4827 km), perform Procedure-1: Internal Engine Cleaning

1499 mi. (2414 km) or less, perform Procedure-2: Engine Repair

While Saturn still considers oil consumption of 1 quart (0.951 liter) in

2000 mi. (3218 km) to be an acceptable level, the engine cleaning procedure contained in this bulletin may improve oil consumption performance to an even more acceptable level.

============================================================================ ===========

Bottom line:

If your engine consumes less than one quart every 1,500 miles, you should buy a bottle of GM Piston and Ring Cleaner (part nr 12378549) and put 3 ounces of it into each of the four cylinders. Make sure that the piston is half way up on all four cylinders (engine at 90 degrees before or after top dead center).

Then, blow it out the plug holes by cranking the engine with rags over it. Do an oil change and replace the oil with Mobil 1 (yup, the TSB says to use Mobil 1) for one 3,000 mile oil change.

It looks like it's official - the oil consumption is due to ring sticking.

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

Thanks... Perfect.

Reply to
Joe Dufu

I'm going to frame this one - amazing...

Jonnie Santos