Saturn sc2 Engine Rebuild help

My engine is making noises, I took it to the dealer ship and they said the engine would probably have to be rebuilt but it would cost like 2000 dollars. I want to know if I could do this myself, I don't have too much experience with engines but I am not bad with that sort of thing. I got the haynes manual, would someone suggest I try this and how would I go about getting engine replacement parts?

Spike

Reply to
Side FX

This can be a big project.. If you have any doubts about doin this, then dont attempt... You have to be very comfortable pulling your motor out tearing it down to nothing.

1st do you have an automotive machine shop in town? if you do, it makes it a lot easier... ONce you get the motor tore down you'll send the head and bare block into the shop. they will clean it and check for cracks and hone out the cylinders. and true up the crankshaft..

I suggest you let the machine shop order the rebuild kit for your engine.. They will be able to order the exact sizes for the bearing and piston rings after they tru everythign up.

This isn't going to be a weekend progect., make sure you have a 2nd car to use and plan afew weeks to do unless you have help availible.

Reply to
Joe Biadasz

Reply to
Dan Hicks

Consider a low-mileage used motor as a replacement. I've gotten a few for several hundred bucks each off eBay and going that route is significantly cheaper than performing a rebuild.

Lane [ l a n e @ p a i r . c o m ]

Reply to
Lane

How much would a rebuild cost?

Since I wrote this my engine has completly stopped working so I will need to buy a new car. Do you think it would be worth doing an engine rebuild and trying to sell the car, selling what parts I can on ebay, or just get it to a junk yard?

Side FX

Why? Can you buy a whole new car in the same condition or better for the cost of replacing the motor or less? When you really think about it, it's almost always cheaper to fix than to buy new (unless the car is a POS). Plus, getting rid of a car with a shot motor pretty much means you'll get nothing for it.

Parts, machine work, and labor (if you paid someone else to do it start to finish), I'd guess around $2000 minimum - right in line with what your garage quoted you. Last engine I bought off eBay had 17k on it and I got it for around $190, and local salvage yards typically have them for around $500 - $750. The average driveway mechanic with a good set of tools, a hoist (rented or borrowed), a Haynes or Chilton manual, and some patience and determination, could probably do a motor swap in a weekend.

Lane [ l a n e @ p a i r . c o m ]

Reply to
Lane

You should be able to handle a swap in a weekend. Its really not hard at all, but the first time around it will take some time. I don't think my haynes covered dropping the cradle out the bottom, like I did. I think at one point I posted somewhat of a step-by-step on this group so you might check google groups.

Reply to
BANDIT2941