saturn sl/93 start up noise

When I start up the engine, the car vibtates with a loud sound. If I drive it with out letting it warm up for at least 15 minutes it takes about 30 minutes for the noise fade. But, if I let it warm up, there is no noise when I begin to drive. Thought it was a bad stering pump or the air cond. so I replaced the belt to by pass them, no change.Took out the thermostat, changed the oil, no change. The car runs with out loss of power and drives normal when the sound goes away. What could it be ? Am I driving a ticking time bomb? Thanks to anyone who can help.

Reply to
icsteel

Not sure with the vibration part, but did you check the belt tensioner and idler/bearings?

Remove the belt entirely and start engine to see if noise goes away. You can run the cold engine a minute or two with no harm. Not sure where you were going with the thermostat removed.

Removing the belt will eliminate all the accessories being an issue.

James

Reply to
James1549

James thanks for replying ,I'll try removing the belt and will lt. you know. I thought that possibly it might be the water pimp or something temperature related because the noise goes away when the car has warmed up. I'm puzzled? Your help is appreciated . ken p.s. I live in a warm climate that doesn't require a thermostat.

Reply to
icsteel

You should use a thermostat in any climate. I doubt it is 180=B0 where you live.

James

Reply to
James1549