Saturn SL1 1997 Problems- Help.

I have 2 problems since I bought this used 1997 SL1 with 74,000 miles.

1)I have to turn the ignition key several times to start the car. I went to 2 mechanics and they could not tell me if this is a problem with the key cylinder or starter. 2)When starting the car- the engines revs to 1300 rpm and then slowly goes down to 900 rpm- but it takes good 4-5 minutes. Afterwards I have problems when idling in Drive (500-600 rpms) and the needle is hesitating bettween 500 and 600 rpms. I had complete tune up and replaced the idle sensor (aka air sensor). Cost me $270 for all of this and the mechanics are scratching their heads and can't figure out the idle problem. This affects when I am standing in traffic jams and try to switch lanes and as I hit the accelerator my car dangerously hesitates. Any clues? Please remove all "Q's" from my email before replying to me.
Reply to
Lu

Have them check your exhaust system. Your catalytic converter may be clogged up.

JD

Reply to
Joe Delphi

7 times before you can get it to turn over or what?

That might be Idle Air Control.

600-700 would be the norm I think.

Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) sounds likely. Might want to look into cleaning the EGR valve as well.

Reply to
Blah blah

do you hear the fuel pump run when you turn the key on but not start the car?

Reply to
Jeff McDonald