saturn superchager

Does anyone know if there is a saturn supercharger kit for the sc series, there was scdyne.com performance, but the site seems to be gone now. Any ideas?

I don't think that an electric superchager would really be worth it, or am i wrong?

I just want a little extra kick, no big boost.

Thanks for the help.

Jeremiah

Reply to
uknewwho

Also... How much boost could be run with stock fuel system? I plan on (if i can find the kit) to run between 6 and 10 psi, again, not much, just enough to give a little more kick then stock.

Reply to
uknewwho

I'm not aware of any companies other than the one mentioned that make a "kit". Search the forums at

and you'll find anoutstanding custom install of a roots-type supercharger from a V6 GM caronto the intake manifold side of a DOHC motor. I'm sure there are otherpeople who have been working with adapting other superchargers as well. I don't think it's a good idea to run any sort of forced induction with a stock fuel system. At the very minimum, you'll want to run a FMU (fuel management unit?) which modifies fuel pressure based on vacuum/boost level. This is the lowest cost route. This would get things going, but ultimately as you raise boost levels, you may be fighting detonation or pre-ignition for a few reasons:

  • High temps on the intake charge since there's no way to cool the air after it's pressurized (like there is on a turbocharged setup). If you go with a centrifugal model, you may be able to run an intercooler, but I'm not positive as I haven't done a lot of reading/research in this area.

  • Inability to dial in any timing retard in stock form. You can add several MSD pieces to retard the timing though, but you're looking at at least 0 there.

You mention the phrase "a little more kick". Unfortunately, the work and expense required to give your Saturn forced induction may not be worth it to most people if it only gave you a little. Easiest way to do that is to use nitrous oxide. Do some research and don't cut corners, and you can use it very safely to add 50 horsepower at the flick of a switch for around $500. I've got a writeup on my website of two different nitrous kits that I tried.

Good luck, Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane

I might be wrong here, but i think I remember saturnmotorsports offering a kit a long while ago for the s-series, it was around $3K. Turbosaturns.net is prolly the best place to learn all you need though. Skip the electric blowers, they do little or nothing.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 16:12:15 -0500, uknewwho took a five-minute break from flipping burgers to boot the etch-a-sketch and scribble out:

WTF??? A supercharger? Just go buy a crate 350 SB and drop 'er in!! :)

PerfectReign

I wouldn't put a superchager on a Saturn engine. It probably wouldn't last long with all the stress.

Fred

94 SC2
Reply to
Fred V.

Then by all means, don't.

But for those who do, and make sure they address all of the other things that need to be done at the same time (improved cooling, upgraded fuel system, timing control, etc), the results can be impressive and you can build it reliably. Unfortunately, it's the badmouthing from those who don't do it properly (or those who choose to speculate without facts) that paint an inaccurate view.

You want to see some truly amazing things being done with the 1.9 liter Saturn motor? Visit the forums at

. There'sguys there nearing the 400 horsepower level, and accompanying dyno chartsfor the skeptics.