Saturn Transmission Code Help

Hi, I have a '96 Saturn SL2, great car with no problems except this: I have a check engine light on, had it scanned and comes up with code P0733 (trans 3rd gear error) Does anyone know the procedure to fix this? The tranny does shift funny out of 3rd sometimes so its a real code. I just know where to start..thanks in advance! Jay

Reply to
bajazza

This error probably indicts a defective 3rd gear shift solenoid. The solenoids can be checked by measuring the resistance at the top after removing the connector. This is easy to access right under the air breather tube. As I recall, resistance should be between 4 and 6 ohms on all of the solenoids. If you find a bad one it will measure differently. There are only 2 connections per solenoid and each pair are adjacent to each other on the connector. For what it is worth, solenoids are replaceable parts and are sold at the dealer parts counter. If you open up the trans cover (not needed to make the resistance measurement) then you will also need to replace the cover gasket at that time too.

By the way, the worst part of this job is scraping the old gasket off and keeping the debris from falling into the transmission... this is the only drawback I have found to having the cover access on the top side of the TAAT transmission. Good luck and hope this info helps. If all solenoids are good, then clean the connector or wait for whatever is intermittent (speed sensor, solenoid, CPU, etc.) to fail permanently to make it easier to diagnose.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman